Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Environment » What are some common misconceptions about recycling? ~

What are some common misconceptions about recycling? ~

Posted - September 6, 2019

Responses

That all of what is sent to be recycled is recycled. A lot is simply sold to China and China does not recycle it. The sort through for valuables and burn or dump the rest. 
    Added (This was the case up until 2018 when China stopped importing plastic) 

That the carbon footprint for manufacturing a plastic bag is LESS than a paper bag. This post was edited by my2cents at September 6, 2019 3:23 PM MDT
      September 6, 2019 7:12 AM MDT

China doesn't even take much, anymore ... because it was so "dirty" they couldn't recycle it.
    So now there are tons of "backlogged" material, looking for a processor.
      September 6, 2019 7:33 AM MDT

China is no longer buying our recyled items.  It has become too expensive to recycle it.  I believe we are now sending it to other Asian countries.
      September 6, 2019 10:39 AM MDT

Yes, for example, The Philippines. China DUMPS container-loads of US garbage at that country‘s seaports. 

:[
      September 7, 2019 5:10 AM MDT

I'm thinking that with the exception of metals, it is not economically advantageous to recycle much of anything else, which is why I believe China stopped taking our stuff.  They did that before the tariff war so it had to be for financial reasons.
      September 7, 2019 9:49 AM MDT

Oh my goodness................so many!!

September 6, 2019 3:22 PM MDT

That it makes a big dent.  

Most of the pollution comes from bigger issues than the plastics we re-cycle in our own private lives.

Five of the world's biggest environmental problems

1. Air pollution and climate change.
    2. Deforestation.
    3. Species extinction.
    4. Soil degradation.
    5. Overpopulation.
    This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 7, 2019 9:54 AM MDT
      September 7, 2019 9:51 AM MDT

I’m doing my part by never getting any woman pregnant ever again. It’s been decades since the last time. 

~
      September 7, 2019 9:57 AM MDT

I've heard a more unslanted version.  Something to do with the wife of said recycler putting a padlock on the hoo hoo and the recycler looking all over for love in all the wrong places to no avail.  

Fake news, I'm certain of it.
      September 7, 2019 10:02 AM MDT

Rumors abound.  I've placed my wife ahead of me, and we mutually decided that we had enough children after our youngest was born.  On her part, being the tiny, petite woman that she is, pregnancies were very difficult on her, and giving birth even more so.  On my part, I was just done, satisfied with our brood.  Neither of us wanted more children, and I got a vasectomy, simple as that.  We've never regretted that move one bit.

~
      September 7, 2019 8:03 PM MDT