Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » England-Europe has the most senile fishing laws , if what they catch is to small or the wrong species they grow it back dead ....

England-Europe has the most senile fishing laws , if what they catch is to small or the wrong species they grow it back dead ....

and then catch another shipload....it's done to preserve fish stocks .....Do you think those that think up and administer these laws and rules are brainless and half witted morons....
A new rule coming soon means they can't throw the dead fish back that been caught either....:( 

Posted - September 7, 2019

Responses

Throw it back ,not grow it back Randy ,Fort Id say before you'd pull me on it... Cheers    :) 
      September 7, 2019 9:10 PM MDT

Don't you just LOVE how easy it is to correct a question once you post it?  I tried to tell JA and she didn't get me or my plight.
      September 8, 2019 12:16 AM MDT

I'm sure my iPad changes the words I type a fraction of a second after I push post....it don't make being blonde any easier....just ask Randy ,Hell tell ya...lol
      September 8, 2019 2:20 AM MDT

You said:  They throw them back when they are dead.  Did you not?  

Then you said they cannot throw them back when they are dead.  New rule. So, if they corrected the rule what is the big deal?

Obviously I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say.  

September 8, 2019 12:18 AM MDT

Fish die in the nets when they are being dragged behind ships before they get on board....if they are the wrong type of fish or to small, they throw  the fish back dead and try to catch adult fish....why throw back dead first ? 

September 8, 2019 2:26 AM MDT

It's the European Commission, not "England", who made that law.

Or more accurately, The EU created the Directive that EU countries have to re-write to fit their own legal systems, supposedly without altering the basic purpose, meaning and sense.

Some Directives do reflect international rules or treaties more widely (and the UK is a member or signatory of over 90 international bodies and treaties, outside of the EU).

Some are "gold-plated" by national governments, including the UK's at ministerial level, rather than being implemented in their basic forms; hence becoming foolishly and impracticably dictatorial. One reason so many hold the EU in such contempt is its freedom for bureaucrats to invent silly rules, or to gold-plate basically good, simple ones into stupidity.  

Yes, that ruling on fish is foolish: made with the best intentions but out of ignorance. The Directives are made in an unstoppable flood by the EU's Commissioners (some failed ex-politicians, but The EC is part of the EU's Civil Service, not its politicians) who neither understand nor particularly care about the things they legislate on, and even less about the consequences. As in the fisheries case.

I have read the published Minutes of an EC meeting of the type that designs Directives - this example on an aspect of industrial safety. The committee concerned was clearly too secretive to name its delegates personally, only by nationality, even as an introductory list. So its style was as in "Britain suggested that..., Sweden agreed but Italy pointed out...". This prevents establishing the delegates' credentials for the particular work, or any relevant commercial interests they may - the EC is notoriously open to lobbyists, even allegedly paying them if it supports their cause.

I also have a copy of the EU's "Pressure Equipment Regulations" - a turgid EU document by and for lawyers with little or no technical knowledge, so parts of it are rather silly. What stands out is the costly work-creation scheme behind those prissy "CE" marks, and that such Directives are at least for trade protectionism as much as the title claim. (In this example, the safety of pressure-vessels like compressed-air tanks and steam boilers). 

As far as the fishing goes, I have read allegations - but credible ones - that the EU's fisheries policy has inadvertently increased piracy along parts of the African coast, and made fishing there much more hazardous for the locals. The allegation is that Mediterranean-country trawler companies' own local over-fishing and consequent EU protection sends them much further afield, so plundering African waters. The locals thus lose their fish stocks hence livelihood, have to go out further from land and for longer in their smaller, not very seaworthy boats; and some have turned to piracy out of desperation.

'
    It can only get worse, for fewer and fewer politicians enter that profession from any "real" work outside of politics, be it building-site labouring or brain-surgery, shelf-stacking or science. 

September 8, 2019 8:11 PM MDT

Oh and by the way (sorry- meant it as footnote to previous)... " senile" simply means "old", not "foolish" or anything like that!
      September 8, 2019 8:13 PM MDT