Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Does craving a certain type of food mean your body needs it?

Does craving a certain type of food mean your body needs it?

The past few days I have been craving candy to the point where my wife bought me some.

Posted - September 26, 2019

Responses

Yes, it can.  Knowing the difference between need and want is the hard part. 
      September 26, 2019 3:27 PM MDT

EXACTLY!
      September 26, 2019 4:07 PM MDT

• I imagine more times than not our food cravings are more a mental need than physical need. 
      September 26, 2019 3:30 PM MDT

My daughter has a thing for pumice. I've literally had to remove my pumice stones from the shower because she eats them. She knows its not healthy and that it will ruin her teeth, but she has trouble restraining herself. Praytell, what exactly would her body need from pumice? If you can get to the heart of that, and I can prevent it, I might buy into the "my body needs something in it" claim. 

September 26, 2019 4:03 PM MDT

Pumice is a type of extrusive volcanic rock, produced when lava with a very high content of water and gases is discharged from a volcano. As the gas bubbles escape, the lava becomes frothy. When this lava cools and hardens, the result is a very light rock material filled with tiny bubbles of gas.

https://www.healthline.com/health/pica
      September 26, 2019 4:14 PM MDT

Pumice contains the minerals feldspar, augite, hornblende, and zircon.

Hornblende is an isomorphous mixture of three molecules; a calcium-iron-magnesium silicate, an aluminium-iron-magnesium silicate, and an iron-magnesium silicate

Some pregnant women report this and are low on iron.
      September 26, 2019 7:30 PM MDT

Yes.  Example:  When I have worked a long, hard day in the sun, I crave salt.
    Hence, potato chips.  Just because your body "needs" something and your choice is not the brightest of choices doesn't mean your body is not trying to tell your brain it needs something.
    Your brain just might look for the nearest "out" to satisfy that craving.

If you are craving something bad for you, your brain is telling you something your body doesn't need.
    That is something entirely different. This post was edited by Merlin at September 26, 2019 7:46 PM MDT
      September 26, 2019 4:05 PM MDT

I almost never eat sugary stuff, so the craving for candy is quite unusual for me.
      September 26, 2019 5:25 PM MDT

It can.  We all know our own body so we are the best judge to determine want vs need.
      September 26, 2019 8:07 PM MDT

No one needs sugar, no matter how much they crave it. 
      September 26, 2019 9:37 PM MDT

Everyone needs sugar as an energy source. Complete elimination causes hypoglycemia, which can lead to reduced brain function.  Added sugars should be avoided up to a limit of about 150g.
      September 27, 2019 8:47 AM MDT

Yes, my daughter has hypoglycemia. Candy is not best for it cause to simple of a sugar so her body will break it down much to quickly.  But things like cream cheese (carbs) are good and stay in the system. She has to eat smaller meals more frequently or will get dizzy and will effect sleep etc. 
      September 27, 2019 10:36 AM MDT

I also have it. I found that peanut butter works quite well.
      September 27, 2019 1:44 PM MDT

• Yes, sometimes. For example, when I haven't had water in a while, I seem to crave foods that are refreshing and watery like grapes and watermelon.
      September 27, 2019 11:01 AM MDT

Dieticians have a special name for that malady...thirst.
      September 27, 2019 1:45 PM MDT