Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Legal » EXCUUUSE ME? TRUMP CALLS FOR DEATH PENALTY FOR HATE CRIMES? Isn't that the LAW already folks?

EXCUUUSE ME? TRUMP CALLS FOR DEATH PENALTY FOR HATE CRIMES? Isn't that the LAW already folks?

WATCH: Trump calls for death penalty for hate crimes

Nation Aug 5, 2019 10:45 AM EDT

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump is asking the Justice Department to propose legislation so that those who commit hate crimes and mass murders face the death penalty.

The Republican president says he wants capital punishment to be imposed swiftly against those who carry out hate crimes and mass shootings.

Trump spoke from the White House on Monday following weekend shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, that left 29 people dead and dozens wounded.

Trump says America must stop the glorification of violence in society. He says it’s too easy for troubled youths to surround themselves with a culture of violence.

Posted - October 8, 2019

Responses

On these mass shooting I do believe the sentence should be carried out swiftly.  Ninety (90) days at the latest from conviction to public execution.  The body should be cremated and the ashes scattered so that the is no Martyrs Shrine.

The concept of Hate Crimes bothers me.  It makes a special class of victims.  Make the act a crime, get the perp to trial quickly, and carry out the sentence rapidly.

I am sure you will disagree.  That said I have never heard of a dead murderer, rapist, pedophile ever committing another crime.  If we execute them immediately 90-120 days from conviction, we lower the governmental carrying costs of their imprisonment.  Now why did it take 14 years to execute the likes of John Wayne Gacy?
      October 8, 2019 1:49 PM MDT

Agree 100%. 
      October 8, 2019 2:59 PM MDT

No. I don't disagree.  There is so much B.S. around a crime and it is mostly protecting the victim.  What I would stipulate is that if there ARE extenuating circumstances (and there always are) we need to take that into consideration.    I know the person is mentally deranged.  That said, there is no other recourse.  When the  murder of innocents are involved, the nutbag loses.  Amen.

Why did it take years to execute any mass murderer?   Because they have the goods on the law  Oftentimes the law is trying to coerce the killer to give up where the missing victims are buried.  That is one thing.  People who are grieving need closure.  AND? The law makes certain that all possible stays are honored, all possible evidence and appeals are recognized and listened to, etc. etc. and time drags on and on.  But, there are people who are executed that are in the system and are innocent.  I would rather put up with the rest of these creeps for years if it means we save one innocent who needed that time to clear himself if he could.  

I am just and am not a bleeding heart anything. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 8, 2019 9:52 PM MDT
      October 8, 2019 9:49 PM MDT

No, that isn't the law.
      October 8, 2019 6:31 PM MDT

If you kill people you die. That is the law.  I don't mean if you punch someone in the face.  I mean kill.  No matter what the intent was.  Unless it is self-defense.  
      October 8, 2019 9:53 PM MDT

That is not true.  Only 29 states now have death penalty law on the books.  Even for the ones that do every killing is not a capital murder case.  

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/state-and-federal-info/state-by-state

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 9, 2019 5:43 AM MDT
      October 9, 2019 12:58 AM MDT