Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Oh my gawd! What's next for Californians?

Oh my gawd! What's next for Californians?

Lotsa high winds ahead. In order to forestall prevent avoid massive wildfires PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric) plans to SHUT OFF ELECTRICITY to a few million Californians for an UNKNOWN amount of time. Could be days. Not kidding. Are we among them? I have no idea. I guess I'll know when the lights go out the refrigeraters (I have THREE) go dead and we have no TV Internet Phone. So here's looking at you kid! So long it's been good ta know ya. The sword of Damocles.

Posted - October 10, 2019

Responses

Is that an admission the condition of their equipment is generally so poor it can't withstand winds that are probably not unusually strong for the region, then? 
      October 10, 2019 4:25 PM MDT

When the Santa Ana winds hit they can be very dangerous. One year in Hemet it was so bad roof tiles were torn off the roofs. PG&E was blamed for the massive wildfires in northern California due to their power stations. You're right. The equipment is old. They were sued up the yingyang and I believe have declared bankruptcy though I'm not certain of it. So far so good for us in Hemet. We live in a retirement community on flat land which has no shrubbery or brush in any extensive amounts. We are not a dangerous fire zone. So mebbe those are the folks whose  power got shut off. So far no big winds either. Jim says we're "probably" not going to have our power turned off. One good thing. It's not summer when the temps get up to 115! That would be worse. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Friday! :) We have almost 40 million people who live in California and I think only a couple of million will experience power shutoffs. This post was edited by RosieG at October 11, 2019 1:29 AM MDT
      October 11, 2019 1:28 AM MDT