Discussion » Questions » Sports » Do you think the NFL should get rid of the automatic first down rule for most or all of the penalties that now allow for it? ~

Do you think the NFL should get rid of the automatic first down rule for most or all of the penalties that now allow for it? ~

For instance, if a certain number of yards are lost by the team which committed the penalty, or if a certain number of yards are gained by the opposing team, shouldn't that suffice as a consequence, instead of the dual whammy?

Posted - October 28, 2019

Responses

I think you have made a slight error. If a team's offense loses yardage, there is no automatic first down. The down remains the same. Same with gaining yardage for a non-personal foul such as off-sides. If there are ten yards to go and an off-sides gives the offense five yards, the down count resumes. For ten yard or more penalties, the ball is usually moved past the first-down line anyway.
      October 29, 2019 7:44 AM MDT

You’re not aware that some penalties also result in automatic first downs?  You’ve never heard a referee say those exact words, “automatic first down”?  Gee, you’re either not paying attention or you’re not a football fan. 

October 30, 2019 12:23 AM MDT

Of course I have. But, as you said, most of the time it is unccesary to say it.
      November 18, 2019 7:29 AM MST

You’ve excluded penalties called against the defense. 
    ~
      November 18, 2019 6:25 AM MST

The down is not part of the penalty.  The penalty is a specific number of yards.  If that results in a first down is based on the position of the ball at the start of the play. ie. if they were at 2nd and 7.  and the penalty is 5 then it becomes 3rd and 2.   Now if we started at 2nd and 3 then the 5 would result in a new set of downs. This post was edited by my2cents at November 18, 2019 6:15 AM MST
      October 29, 2019 8:38 AM MDT

You’re not aware that some penalties also result in automatic first downs?  You’ve never heard a referee say those exact words, “automatic first down”?  Gee, you’re either not paying attention or you’re not a football fan. 

October 30, 2019 12:22 AM MDT

I have heard that but I have always thought it was because the penalty yardage moved the ball to the 10 yards needed.

Upon googling....the automatic 1st down applies to defensive fouls where the yardage penalty is 15 yards. Majority of the time 15 yards will move the ball past the original 10 yrd goal. But these are severe fouls that the officals do not want to see. So if by some chance the 15 yd penalty does not meet the mark....it also will give the 1st down.  This post was edited by my2cents at November 18, 2019 6:15 AM MST
      October 30, 2019 4:57 AM MDT

Er, um, that’s not entirely accurate. Just last night for example, there was a 3rd and ten play, the defense was charged with a holding penalty that resulted in a five-yards AND an automatic first down. 
    ~
      November 18, 2019 6:24 AM MST

True. This is because in theory it is a 10 yd penalty. 

Offense, 10 yards. If it is called in the end zone by the offense, it's an automatic safety; defense, 5 yards and automatic first down.

It still comes down to these are fouls, they do not want to see committed. 

Would you prefer they move it 10yds? Again this normally results in new set of downs. 
      November 18, 2019 6:36 AM MST