Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Anyone out there with WINDOWS 10 LOVE IT? Why?

Anyone out there with WINDOWS 10 LOVE IT? Why?

Posted - October 31, 2019

Responses

Tried it.
     A disaster.
      Hated it.
       Rejected it.

I'd bought a new computer with WIN 7 Pro installed - the one I am using now.

About a year after purchase, MS introduced WIN 10, with all the hype you'd expect, including offering it for free for quite a long time.

Eventually I tried it, but was careful to use the small, discreet "Custom Install" mode rather than the big glaring "INSTALL NOW" or similar, which installs software giving Microsoft basically open access to your computer, or your use of it. I'm not sure which.

I was not impressed.

Shallow, gimmicky, scrappy presentation. Nothing obvious so hard to find. No decent editions of the applications (Word, Excel, etc.)

Worse, it deleted all my web-site registrations, about 7 or 8 of them I think.

Its only improvement was a better photo-filing system, allowing thumb-nails so avoiding needing 'Review'.

Luckily MS offered a reversion option so I followed that to re-install WIN 7 (I wonder if the only significant differences were in screen presentation and replacing Internet Explorer with something called "Edge". Or just re-naming IE to Edge.)  

It took some 2 or 3 hours to recover the lost registrations. I have had no desire to use W10 since, but recognise the blighters in Silicon Valley might eventually force me into buying it.

By then though, I would not be at all surprised if the software is not sold outright, but available only by renting it on open-ended contracts very hard to leave, and amounting over time to far more than the up-front cost. Adobe already does that with the converter necessary to be able to edit a document or spread-sheet MS has sneakily locked in Adobe's financial favour, indicated by an 'x' suffix on the file type.

Adobe costs nearly £400 (today's rate is about $517) a year to rent - ridiculously expensive for something you might need only a few times a year. What would the rent on WIN-10 be? £4000 / >$5100 a year?

Already I have begun to find IE, Google and Firefox being unable to reach particular sites which worked well until recently. From  discussing this on an amateur engineers' forum I use, it seems some sites are probably faulty anyway, but others may have been caught by being written to international security standards MS helped produce but now disobeys. Another suggestion was that it might be a by-product of MS changing IE to Edge. The error message suggested contacting the Web-site owner. Errrr. Yes, if I can find contact details not on the hidden site!

I fear the few, giant US companies that now control the Internet might ensure it becomes available only to those wealthy enough to buy or rent increasingly costly software which will also render anything written only a  few years previously, inaccessible. If so, everyone else will find it extremely difficult to obtain all sorts of necessary information or services, thanks to so many companies and governmental organisations now belonging to fully the Digital branch of the Great Family We-All.

Starting with WIN-10: already, using WIN 7, I have photograph files I can no longer view because they are not compatible with later versions of the software.
      November 1, 2019 3:18 PM MDT

Oh my gosh Durdle. Geez. You have more than confirmed my worst fears. I hung in with Windows XL which I LOVED long after it was no longer supported. I'm gonna do the same with Windows 7 which I don't love as much but have come to terms with. For one thing it doesn't wait to install. It will interrupt you whenever it pleases. HOW RUDE is that? But Windows 10 is my nightmare waiting to engulf me. I am not nearly as knowledgeable about it as you. I didn't understand everything you described above. I have a computer guy I go to when I have problems so at some point beyond next year I will and maybe by then something tolerable will be available. Why do they not fix what's broke? What is the point of shoving such a defective operating system down our throats? To test us for what purpose? Thank you for taking the time to detail all the warts and what you've tried to do to beautify them. It ain't happening. Oy vey! AARRGGHH! :( This post was edited by RosieG at November 2, 2019 3:25 AM MDT
      November 2, 2019 3:24 AM MDT

I intend hanging on to WIN 7 as long as I can. I have another computer, isolated from the Internet, loaded with XP .

Microsoft is driven by two things only - money and power.
      November 3, 2019 1:42 PM MST

Yep. Ditto. Me too m'dear. You know Durdle a curious thing happened during the agony of my having to give up XL about which I bit**ed and moaned and groanded here on Answermug I was roundly CRITICIZED for not getting with the program. For hanging on to an OBSOLETE past and refusing to embrace the NOW! I could not believe it but there it was. Now I KNOW you are way more/smarter than I am in many areas so you have NO IDEA HOW GOOD IT MAKES ME FEEL to know that you are on the same page same sentence same word as I am with respect to operating systems. I've never understood changing "up" just for the sake of it or why folks defend repairing something that was never broken to begin with. I understand some folks thrill and get off on what's new and I have no problem with that. WHY NOT JUST ADD TO OUR OPTIONS? What enormous sin would that be? I'm gonna ask. Maybe the critics will see themselves in the question. Maybe not. Thanks for the implied "atta girl". SIGH. WHAT NEXT? Sheesh.
      November 4, 2019 4:18 AM MST

I am no expert on the deeper levels o f computing - I use it but that's about all.

Some of the changes made by firms like Microsoft allow for developments by the electronics designers, so might need altering to be compatible technically; but they also bloat the software with ever fancier and gimmick-ridden presentations while cutting back on anything of practical use.

Perhaps worst, they work on "It's not broken so let's break it then fix it" - and fix it so it's harder to use and won't run older files.  
      November 4, 2019 10:16 AM MST