Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ever hear of sodium hypochlorite? A disinfectant used a lot I think. Anyway its use killed one and hospitalized 10 people! Ever use it?

Ever hear of sodium hypochlorite? A disinfectant used a lot I think. Anyway its use killed one and hospitalized 10 people! Ever use it?

It happened at a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant. Why would something that can kill you be available for sale?
Is Chlorox bleach that? I dunno. You go to work one day and don't come home because you were cleaning a restaurant?

Posted - November 8, 2019

Responses

Any thing in excess can kill Rosie ,drink seven litres of water and you can die...you can buy   sulfuric acid over the counter here in England and muggers use it to rob people in the streets.... 
      November 8, 2019 3:23 AM MST

Water poisoning. What happens when folks drink too much water is that they flush all the electrolytes out of their system. I wonder when I see folks swigging down bottle after bottle after bottle of water if they are unaware of that? Thank you for your reply D! :)
      November 8, 2019 6:13 AM MST

Drink to much of any fluid at one sitting and your brain swells and you die in agony Rosie....it's less for coffee and other fluids ..
    It's around twelve pints in one sitting Rosie 
      November 8, 2019 12:27 PM MST

Sodium and Calcium Hypochlorites are both common base chemicals for bleach and disinfectant. 

They are used for many purposes depending on dose rates and dilutions; and any additives to them such as surfactants and gelling agents: cleaning floors, sterilising water for drinking, sterilising babies' feeding-bottles, treating swimming-pools*.  

I don't know the case in question so I am puzzled how that incident happened.

Was it actually the bleach itself in some strange way, or did someone manage to mix it with an acid, resulting in a reaction that liberates chlorine gas? If it was due to a disinfected food container or drink dispenser not being rinsed properly, I'd have thought the contamination immediately apparent by a very unpleasant taste even at very low concentrations, so you would instinctively not drink enough to be harmed even if it made you vomit.

'

Nice Jugs refers to buying sulphuric acid ( I always use British spellings) over the counter. I'm not sure it's as easy as it was, in the UK anyway; and the number of reports of corrosive-substance attacks has diminished considerably. It does not need to be acid though. Alkalis can be insidious in perpetrating a lot of damage before the pain starts (having once had a tiny spot in an eye...). Oxidising-agents such as concentrated bleach are nearly as bad. Even so, it is still easy to buy corrosive materials perhaps unwittingly until you read the labels properly, as some are wrapped up in various preparations named after their intended purposes, like "brick cleaner".

++++

Swimming-pools. The stinging-eye problem some recount is NOT due to the "chlorine" level, which should be no more than 4 to 6ppm; but to chemicals called chloramines created by the disinfectant reacting with biological substances like perspiration and yes, urine, from bathers' bodies. I learnt this when maintaining a large laboratory fresh-water tank kept clean by ordinary, domestic swimming-pool equipment and additives, including strong alkali and rather nasty acids. 
      November 8, 2019 2:17 PM MST