Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you PROUD of your heritage or do you hide it? Do folks know a lot about whom you are or do you you avoid sharing it??

Are you PROUD of your heritage or do you hide it? Do folks know a lot about whom you are or do you you avoid sharing it??

Posted - November 9, 2019

Responses

Those who are close to me know my heritage.  I am not a particularly religious person nor do I follow many of the tenets of my religion, but if asked, I don't hide it.  Here in the City, not many people inquire about the religions of acquaintances.  
      November 9, 2019 12:32 PM MST

I'm not talking about religion per se L. There are internet pals with whom I've chatted for over a decade starting on Answerbag. I don't know anything about how many kids they have or the name of their mates or where they live or what they do. Close to the vest they play it. On the other hand good friends have shared that information with me and so I feel closer to them because they have allowed me to get to know more about them. I mean how can I ever really like someone I don't know anything about at all except by answers to questions? Not a whole lot. I'm very open and I am drawn to those who are likewise. Some people are so closed off shut off barricaded that I wonder if any sunlight ever gets through to them?  I mean I know your name I know where you live I know where you go when you're taking a trip to see relatives. Stuff like that. It is not essential to know those things to get along with folks or enjoy chats. But "knowing" whom they are is impossible if they can't or won't share the basic structure of their lives. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      November 10, 2019 2:21 AM MST

I suspect that some folks don't give out a lot of information on the internet because it is not always wise to do that.  After all, we really don't know who people truly are - we just sort of accept that what they tell us is true.  Then there are folks who have been burned because of confiding information.  I found that happened with someone I was "friends" with at work.  Turns out, something I confided in her made it's way to others and when I found out, I immediately confronted her.  She admitted that she had a few drinks and let that information out.  It wasn't illegal, nor was it embarrassing - it was just something personal that I didn't want others from work to know.  As a result, we remained cordial at work, but it was never the same and I decided that I would not share much of my personal life with anyone at work. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at November 10, 2019 8:09 AM MST
      November 10, 2019 8:08 AM MST

I am American.  If someone want to know where my ancestors are from I will tell them what I know. I do not hide it and am certainly not ashamed of it. 
      November 9, 2019 1:55 PM MST

No...I do not hide who and where I came from. I can't change the past and that is the way it is.

November 9, 2019 2:01 PM MST

Thank you for your reply Goatzart and Happy Sunday. :)
      November 10, 2019 2:22 AM MST

• I'm part of one of the predominate ethnic groups of the southeastern US and proud of it, that being the Scots-Irish. We've given this nation military chiefs and war heroes, as well as occupants of the White House. We've excelled in practically every field of endeavor we've put our hands to.
      November 9, 2019 3:31 PM MST

Are you a fan of golf? My Jim plays golf and tennis. You know golf started in SCOTLAND I think and a very famous golf course is there. St. Andrews. Among golf courses it isn't the most beautiful or lush or scenic but every time we watch a tournament there I get goosebumps. So much history is there and the ghosts of the past golf greats hover about in my mind. Ever learn about the TWO TOMS? Father and son were an important  part of the history at St. Andrews. Ever been to Scotland? Ever see the movie with Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers where they danced to THE HIGHLAND FLING? Thank you for your reply HG and Happy Sunday to thee! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 10, 2019 2:27 AM MST
      November 10, 2019 2:26 AM MST

Meh...I'm Jewish. I don't follow the traditions, but I am what I am.
      November 9, 2019 3:35 PM MST

Oy vey! I'm verklempt! Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday. Reminds me of Popeye. I YAM WHAT I YAM. Are you a spinach fan?
      November 10, 2019 2:28 AM MST

Raw only. That canned stuff is a tasteless mush.
      November 10, 2019 6:40 AM MST

They CAN spinach? Seriously E? Geez. Fresh is the only way to go. Canned slime I expect is what you'd get. Not my cuppa tea. Thank you for your reply! We eat it raw in salads or on sandwiches (despise iceberg lettuce)and also put it chopped up in scrambled eggs and soups. :)
      November 10, 2019 6:44 AM MST

November 10, 2019 6:47 AM MST

The can ain't bad lookswise. The dish? AARRGGHH! Rotgut. :(
      November 10, 2019 6:48 AM MST