Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Has anyone used castor oil? Any side effects?

Has anyone used castor oil? Any side effects?

When i put it on my skin i start to feel sick like headache/nausea but its a really light feeling, and it doesnt hurt like a headache. It just feels really weird.. has anyone had this experience or know what it could be?

Posted - September 15, 2016

Responses

• All along I thought it was motor oil :-/  

September 15, 2016 1:04 AM MDT

• No ... that's Castrol and it's just a brand name.

September 15, 2016 1:06 AM MDT

• That explains many many things. lol!

September 15, 2016 1:11 AM MDT

It means live aliens are hatching in your brain

September 15, 2016 1:45 AM MDT

September 15, 2016 1:57 AM MDT

Castor oil is normally harmless and is used in a variety of products such as soaps, perfumes and some foods such as some candies. You may be allergic to it and I would recommend you not use it. don't ingest it as it is a powerful laxative.

September 15, 2016 5:55 AM MDT

Wow interesting. Thank u for ur comment.
      September 16, 2016 5:54 AM MDT

LOL^-^ Actually it is used for motor oil or was i cant remember. But it is also in a lot of cosmetics. I tried to research but didnt find anything related to what i was feeling.
      September 16, 2016 5:58 AM MDT

Haha yes maybe
      September 16, 2016 5:58 AM MDT

Castor oil was indeed used as some form of motor oil, I think I as a fuel additive for racing 2-stroke petrol engines.

I've used it at work in the past, and not come across the effect you describe, so I don't know if it's common or you were individually particularly sensitive to it or some chemical it contains. I did find it difficult to wash off as it dries to a sticky goo.

So I was intrigued enough to look up a Safety Data Sheet for it.

It's not regarded as either toxic or environmentally hazardous (it is a plant oil and readily bio-degradable); and is used as or in skin emollient, cosmetics, etc.

It is rather famously very unpleasant-tasting and a  strong intestinal irritant hence laxative. Over-exposure on the skin could cause irritation or other skin problems. However, the information did not mention absorptive effects as you may have suffered.

So not really very helpful to you I'm afraid!

Was it pure castor oil or mixed with something else? If the latter it might the "something" that was the problem.

September 20, 2016 3:42 PM MDT