Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » THIS IS WHAT IMMIGRATION LOOKS LIKE AT THE BORDER. OBVIOUSLY THESE IMAGES ARE REAL. PROUD? PROUD TO BE A TRUMPER?

THIS IS WHAT IMMIGRATION LOOKS LIKE AT THE BORDER. OBVIOUSLY THESE IMAGES ARE REAL. PROUD? PROUD TO BE A TRUMPER?

Posted - November 15, 2019

Responses

I think it's a very difficult issue.
    Clearly, whatever the policy, families should never be forcibly separated by any authority.

From way down under, I get the impression that South American immigrants to the States have become an important part of the US economy.
    Those who become citizens often become very competent and successful at their work. We see this with the majority of migrants here in Australia; having come from poverty, they are keen and work extremely hard to do well.
    Those who are illegals get very low pay - exploitation rates - and some businesses like farming and construction are dependent on these obscenely low wages in order to make a profit. This seems to generate great resentment among some Americans who would like to have those jobs but not at such illegally low rates of pay. As a result, a special type of racism against 'wetbacks' develops, which in turn generates a political momentum to try to keep them out of the country at all costs. This is one part of the electorate that Trump plays to. I doubt if he is sincere. I bet if someone investigated they would find hundreds of illegals working in his many hotels.

I see two potential solutions.
    1. A screening process designed to accept those families who are genuine: the economic and political refugees - excluding any with criminal records or social connections with crime. That would mean temporary and humane detention while the checks are being done - including English lessons, education for the kids, access to medicine, and the chance to work. I don't know how it could be funded - but perhaps there would be a way of those granted residence paying 10% extra on taxes at lowest legal wage level, rising incrementally according to income.
    2. Give much more help to the countries from which they are fleeing. Send people out to give free education and medicine to the poor. Help with infrastructures such as wells, plumbing and roads.

Unfortunately, I cannot say Australia is any better. Our record on asylum seekers has been the worst in the world for the last twenty years. And Trump has begun following our government's example. Some European countries are talking about doing the same. It will never work.
    People just don't realise how bad the suffering is that these people are fleeing. If death is certain if you don't leave, then any risk is better than none.

We are not just one country. We are one world.
      November 15, 2019 6:21 PM MST