Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Water seeks its own level. Meaning what?

Water seeks its own level. Meaning what?

Posted - November 20, 2019

Responses

It means that no matter what that when water flows it is always going to go down towards the lowest point and it is always going to be level no matter what when it has no further it can go.  
      November 20, 2019 10:17 AM MST

Like people Shuhak? Do people always go down toward the lowest point? All water does. Many people do. Too bad it doesn't rise to  its highest level isn't it? Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! We finally got some rain yesterday. Did you?
      November 21, 2019 1:30 AM MST

I got a sprinkle tuesday night.  However, it was enough for PG&E to cancel their planned power outage in this area (too bad they didn't tell us until 5 hours after their stipulated shut off time).  Now they're talking the possibility of a little snow here by/on thanksgiving.
      November 21, 2019 9:15 AM MST

I don't know how you stand it Shuhak. I really don't. Thank goodness the planned outage didn't materialize but futurely? Are they gonna have the authority to legally turn off your power at will? How does that sit with you? We haven't been affected but it doesn't sit well with me at all. Geez. Anyway condolences for what you had to endure in the past and here's hoping you won't have to go through it again. How will that happen I don't have a clue. That's above my IQ but mebbe you can figger it out! Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      November 21, 2019 10:24 AM MST

They already have the authority to turn off the power at will (as per governor Newsom).  While I'd much rather sit in the dark for a few hours than have house burn down, this isn't the answer.  There is little to no communication from PG&E and what little they do give is sketchy.  I  knew there was going to be a "wind event" last week.  It was forecasted by the NWS!  Even the TV weather girl knew!!  In fact, PG&E  knew they were going to turn the power off last week as well as they trucked in massive generators to temporarily keep the towns infrastructure going last friday.  Yet they kept saying "if conditions warrant".  It wasn't until late monday that they started calling people claiming "possible" PSPS might happen, yet at the same time they told the local OES they were turning off power at 7am Wednesday.  At 9 am wed. they decided to move that time to 11 am (but only told the OES - NOT customers).  Then at noon the OES website saif the PSPS was canceled.   They never notified customers until 1 pm - not even on their website!  In fact, their website said my power had already been turned off at 7 am.  Its going to hit the fan real soon, though.  Between these PSPS tanking local economies, they're also messing up schools (and the state is having a fit about that).
      November 21, 2019 4:16 PM MST

Some suggest it is equivalent to "birds of a feather flock together."

Water seeks its own level

----The principle actually says that the water levels in two basins, connected by a pipe, must be the same. That had to have been known long before Aristotle; but Aristotle articulated it and wrote it down.

https://www.uh.edu/engines/epi2781.htm This post was edited by tom jackson at November 21, 2019 10:45 AM MST
      November 21, 2019 1:30 AM MST

Thank you for your reply tom. Does that apply to ALL FLUIDS or only water specifically? Equalizing? What about mercury? Same? :)
      November 21, 2019 4:07 AM MST

Yes---if under the influence of gravity
      November 21, 2019 10:05 AM MST

Thank you. So viscosity is irrelevant then? :)
      November 21, 2019 10:11 AM MST