Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » Will you celebrate Thanksgiving out of respect for history or for your yearning to have a wonderful roast? Maybe your family insists?

Will you celebrate Thanksgiving out of respect for history or for your yearning to have a wonderful roast? Maybe your family insists?

Being open to any kind of answers, I am looking forward to yours. I never ate turkey before I came from Germany to the U.S in 1984. I grew to like it - just a little bit, but my hubby does not eat it. Would you eat a goose roast, which is our traditional dinner for Christmas? I love it !!!

Posted - November 20, 2019

Responses

I don't have a family and I don't eat animals.  But I have gratitude aplenty and I will give all I can to say thanks on that day.  Whatever comes up, I'll do a good deed for the Universe.
      November 20, 2019 7:29 PM MST

P.s. When I did eat meat, goose and duck were exquisite.  So was the honorable turkey.
      November 20, 2019 7:30 PM MST

• We eat duck at New Year's - if we can afford it it. It might be wiser to book a table at a good Chinese Restaurant  - - eaten with orange sauce it might equal out to own cost of the meat and the hours of roasting in the oven.
      November 20, 2019 8:00 PM MST

What an unexpected response and quite interesting as well.  I am not frugal and I should be.  I don't count money the way others do.  And to have to compare one feast to another in respect to time and money?  I'd be so stressed, I would eat nothing at all.  It's a holiday, we should indulge once in a while.   But, I'd rather be too frugal than too wasteful. That is deplorable to me.  Happy Bird Day to you whichever one you choose.

witte ganzen | Heerlijk slapen in het romantische bed met donszacht dekbed. De ...

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 21, 2019 1:07 PM MST
      November 21, 2019 11:38 AM MST

• Sounds very good! And the turkeys will be happy!
      November 20, 2019 7:57 PM MST

I don't care for turkey, myself, but turkey will be on the table.....a turkey breast rather.  There will be two smoked chickens and vegetables aplenty.  Being together with the out-of-towners is always nice and why Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday..........the importance is on thankfulness, good food, and family.  No financial strain nor the hoopla of gifts.  
      November 20, 2019 7:43 PM MST

• Thanks, Thrifty, my thoughts also......
      November 20, 2019 8:01 PM MST

Ente ist immer güt, aber Gany ist besser mit Rot Kohl
      November 21, 2019 8:51 PM MST

• Ich koennte Rotkohl Tag und Nacht essen. Aber Gans ist nicht mehr erschwinglich fuer uns, unser Budget ist zu schmal.
      November 22, 2019 8:30 AM MST

Es tüt mir lied fur mienen langsamer antwort .  Wir sind am einer kürz urlaub.  Wir verstehen ihrem problem
      November 24, 2019 4:49 AM MST

Wonderful time with family and food. 

We will have turkey...it is my husband's favorite. I have never had goose but would certainly try it. I have eaten with in-laws who traditional dish was carp for Christmas. It was good. 
      November 20, 2019 8:15 PM MST

The most commonly told version of traditional Thanksgiving is largely untrue, and I can have a wonderful roast anytime. As far as I’m concerned, I have never met any pilgrims, don’t share the beliefs of the ones I have heard of, and the native Americans have been getting screwed by European immigrants and their progeny for 400 years. I doubt they share the same view of the holiday. 
    ...and I can’t say enough how overrated turkey is.

So that whole traditional narrative, for my purposes, is essentially irrelevant.  

It’s about spending an unencumbered day being duly grateful for another year in this all-too-brief existence, together with people who matter most in our lives, enjoying good eats and great company, making memories and living our own traditions, now, in THIS time.
    I find I don’t need retreaded 17th century iconography for any of that. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 21, 2019 11:41 AM MST
      November 20, 2019 9:21 PM MST

I loved reading this, very good take on the whole thing, but GOD DON, TURKEY?  I love turkey and miss it.  And I am a vegetarian.  I think turkey flavor is AMAZING.  Who cooked for you, man? 
      November 21, 2019 11:43 AM MST

Glad you liked it.
    Listen, I didn’t say turkey isn’t good, it is; or even that I don’t enjoy eating it, I do; but that it is overrated as THE official entree of Thanksgiving. 

November 21, 2019 3:47 PM MST

• Thanks, Don. I agree, thanks for giving this answer...
      November 21, 2019 11:43 AM MST

We are going to a warm beach vacation in Viet Nam.  Beach with no phone for a week, nanny for the kids, private pool for mom and dad

Thanksgiving is not celebrated in Austria per se.  Now many expats will on the weekend before or after hold a Thanksgiving Feast.  Marine House and the Emabssy/Consular services will be closed and some folks will celebrate.  AIS (American International School) will not close, however they will forgive absences from students whose families do celibate on Thanksgiving day.
      November 20, 2019 10:02 PM MST

• Enjoy your vacation! Thanksgiving is an American fest. Since hubby and I live alone in the US, we do not have to care about calendar holidays. Hurray!
      November 21, 2019 11:26 AM MST

I understand I do have an American Passport, my SO Austrian
      November 21, 2019 8:37 PM MST

White Hair you would like this season here.  Almost every place has MartiniGansl on the menu, goose.  Wo koomen Sie aus in Deutschland?

Image result for martinigansl
      November 20, 2019 10:05 PM MST

• Hi, Archerchef, I certaily would like it. I make Red Cabbage from scratch for every festive meal or when we get visitors.  Are those Potato Dumplings? I love those too, when I make these occasionally I use the package. When we came to the USA we came from Bremen in Germany. We lived in several places in northern Germany after WWII, we had to flee the Russian Front in 1945 from Eastern Germany at that time (East Prussia Province). I write in English so anybody can read it. Mein Deutsch ist sehr gut...
      November 21, 2019 11:07 AM MST

I make my dumplings from scratch for get the processed.  We have young kids in the house so no processed foods here whatsoever.

IHren Geschict ist sehr interresant.  Mine Duestch ist gut aber mein Gramatik ist Schelct.  Mein Grossvater kommt aus Schwbia, Mein Grossmütter kommt aus Byern.  Mein Mutter ist eine Franzosich Schweizer.  So ich bin ein Eu "Mutt" mit enig US Reisenpass.

Whitehair the family goes back to Frederik der Grosse.  The Oldest family crypts are in Strssbourg from around 968. 

We know your storey well given a number of my parents Cousins.  Great connecting, ein schones nacht
      November 21, 2019 8:49 PM MST

• Mein Heimat Ort war Koenigsberg in Ostpreussen,  - - where Frederick the great had his castle. War and politics wiped that time out. It is Russian now,
      November 28, 2019 3:49 PM MST

I get free food from family twice a year (Thanksgiving and Xmas). That's all those holidays mean to me. This post was edited by Zack at November 21, 2019 11:26 AM MST
      November 20, 2019 10:05 PM MST

• . Understood. Thanks, Southpaw.
      November 21, 2019 11:28 AM MST