Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do all living species have albinos or only homo saps?

Do all living species have albinos or only homo saps?

Posted - December 5, 2019

Responses

There is no way of knowing. The only albino creature I have seen is in earwig. My wife saw an albino deer.
      December 5, 2019 11:09 AM MST

Are cute blondes concidered Albinos then...:(     (,Y,) 
      December 5, 2019 2:33 PM MST

There is a hypothesis that "gentlemen prefer blondes" because blond hair is generally associated with pale skin, and pale skin does not hide superficial evidence of disease as darker skin can. Hence, if the evolutionary psychologists are correct, blonde bias occurs because it's easier to tell if blondes are "genetically worthy" than people with darker hair/skin pigmentation.

Of course, there is also an enormous cultural component to what "gentlemen prefer", so the above explanation may be mostly hooey.
      December 5, 2019 2:47 PM MST

I wish I cud understand what yew rote....:(    Hehe 
      December 5, 2019 3:38 PM MST

In theory, any animal could be born an albino as it's a mutation in genetics controlling pigmentation.
    Since an albino animal would be easily spotted by predators, there are probably more born than we are aware of.
      December 5, 2019 2:12 PM MST

Are Polar Bears just albino Brown or Black bears that are lost or are using broken compasses then ?

I saw an Albino Cockatoo in a pet shop once as well.....they said it was a bit unwell ,but it looked all white to me...:(  
      December 5, 2019 2:26 PM MST

Funny.
    But yes, there can be albino polar bears:

Albino polar bears would differ from normal polar bears by having pink eyes, skin, noses and gums. To be an albino, a polar bear would need to inherit two copies of a recessive gene that interferes with the production of tyrosinase — an enzyme involved in the production of melanin.

Albinism is unconfirmed in polar bears. Normal polar bears are not albino as they have dark eyes and black noses, skins and gums. Their white coloring is caused by light refracting through their hairs, which are actually clear and colorless. As a bear ages, scarring and residue on the fur can cause it to appear cream, yellow or even pinkish. In captivity, polar bears can turn pale green due to algae growing inside the hairs.

December 6, 2019 7:47 AM MST

Oh. Right you are Walt. They would stick out and be noticed far more often than normal-colored animals.It's not a helpful thing. So it's mutation in genetics then? Where does the mutation occur?  Does it exist in the sperm or the egg or in the coupling of the two? I think there are other problems for those with that condition. Can they stand being out in sunlight? Are they more prone to disease/illness? Do they have shorter lifespans? Thank you for your reply.
      December 5, 2019 2:57 PM MST

After the nuclear annihilation, there will be albinos everywhere...

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Search?query=albino

December 5, 2019 2:34 PM MST

This man's father was the seed that started the albino spawns everywhere.  He had groupies aplenty and look what ensued.

December 5, 2019 2:50 PM MST

VASS ISS DISS? Grazia! :)
      December 5, 2019 2:59 PM MST

In the "Fallout" series of computer games, the action takes place after a nuclear apocalypse. Lots of dangerous creatures wander the landscape, and the albino forms are the biggest/toughest/most dangerous.
      December 5, 2019 4:17 PM MST

I do not know it all do. But I know there are albino humans, turtles, snakes, catfish, ocsar fish, lizards, rabbits, mice, chickens, squirrels.  I have seen all of these myself. I am sure there are other animals as well. This post was edited by my2cents at December 5, 2019 5:02 PM MST
      December 5, 2019 4:10 PM MST