Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Should Pelosi give McConnell another chance to screw her?

Should Pelosi give McConnell another chance to screw her?

Hello:

The last time the Dems HOPED McConnell would do the right thing, he didn't.  Nope..  He never gave Supreme Court nominee, Merrick Garland a hearing.  Looks to me, like he's doing it again.

If I were Pelosi, I wouldn't give him another chance.. She should simply keep the Articles of Impeachment in the House..  That way Trump will remain impeached and can't ever say he was found innocent..

Whaddya think? 

excon

Posted - December 12, 2019

Responses

Trump is not considered impeached until the full House votes on it. I do not think Nancy has control after that. It automatically goes to the Senate.

How do you think Dem voters would feel about it, IF she could hold them in the House?  I know what it would do for the Rep voters....we would be more determined to keep control of the Senate.  

If she can wait, should she wait until the next Congress is sworn in? Perhaps with more Dems in it?   
      December 14, 2019 12:04 PM MST

Based on my reading, it is up to the House to determine when they send impeachment articles and  the "impeachment masters" to hold the trial. The Senate cannot compel the House to do so. There is currently a push by some Democrats to keep holding hearings and gathering evidence (including witness testimony) before they move on to the Senate trial.

Right now, it is purely political maneuvering. Turtle McConnell has openly admitted he's going to do everything he can to rig the trial in Trump's favor and, of course, the Democratic Party is trying to do everything they can to avoid that.
      December 19, 2019 7:34 AM MST

Hello again:

Hmmmm...  Looks like Pelosi is taking my advice.  She's a smart cookie, isn't she?

excon

December 19, 2019 7:07 AM MST

I hope she holds them through the election. It will drive people to vote. 
    (Polls are not in impeachment favor....and we know Trump underpolls) 
      December 19, 2019 7:15 AM MST

I don't think your political calculus is entirely valid (although with the magnifying effects of the Electoral College it's difficult to predict).

In 2016, Trump didn't get substantially more votes than McCain did in 2008 or Romney in 2012. What changed was how many people who voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 either voted third-party or simply stayed home. If the Obama voters in the city of Detroit, MI who opted not to vote in 2016 had shown up and voted for HRC, she would have won Michigan. That would not have moved the EC in her favor, but it illustrates how small the margins can be.

Anyway, it is my impression that most Trump voters are gung-ho for Trump and will not be influenced substantially by the impeachment proceedings.  Hence, the significant political reaction to the impeachment will be whether it motivates or discourages Democrats. The MAGAts are going to show up either way. This post was edited by SaltyPebble at December 19, 2019 7:39 AM MST
      December 19, 2019 7:39 AM MST

You are making assumptions about Obama voters. I can verify every Obama voter I know personally (I am originally from IL..so I know many) are all Trump voters. 
    Voter turnout was higher in 2016 than it was in 2012. 
      December 19, 2019 7:53 PM MST

I made NO assumptions about Obama voters. I simply quoted published statistics.

You are committing the empirical error of assuming (without evidence) that "every Obama voter your know" is a representative sample of  69 million+ Obama voters.

Turnout in 2012 was about 127 million. Turnout in 2016 was about 129 million. The relative difference between those two figures is smaller than relative difference between Obama voters in 2008 versus HRC voters in 2016 and MUCH MUCH smaller than the relative difference between a figure Trump "lied about" in another thread and the actual figure, a difference you dismissed as "no big deal."

I'll stop here lest you start feeling "disrespected"...

December 19, 2019 8:10 PM MST

You may want to check your numbers.  Turnout in 2016 was actually highest on record for individual votes.  

2016 votes: 138,846,571 
    2012 votes: 130,292,355
    2008 votes: 132,609,063

https://www.electproject.org/home/voter-turnout/voter-turnout-data

As long as you do not make comments about a user...you will be fine on the respect rules.
      December 20, 2019 12:49 PM MST

alzo alzo wik

https://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-poll-majority-americans-support-impeaching-donald-trump-removed-office-1477340

Though, admittedly, a new poll taken a few days after the one in the above link showed a move in the direction of weakening support for impeachment and in favor of Trump.

The point is the statement "polls are not in favor of impeachment" is not always supported by the data. This post was edited by SaltyPebble at December 19, 2019 7:43 AM MST
      December 19, 2019 7:43 AM MST

Polls are much better for seeing a trend in public opinion.  

Notice how the trend is going to No Removal.  The more the Dem impeachment process proceeded the more the red disappears. 
      December 20, 2019 1:23 PM MST