Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "The American way of life". Only white America or are the rest of us entitled to live the dream as well? Who is the DECIDER?

"The American way of life". Only white America or are the rest of us entitled to live the dream as well? Who is the DECIDER?

Posted - December 13, 2019

Responses

It's funny.  When I look at American history, it was NEVER the "settled" areas that offered the "American Dream" (equality, a class-less society, etc).  It was ALWAYS the frontier areas.  The areas with little or no law.  Where people generally relied on themselves, and so judged others by their work rather than gender or ethnicity.
      December 13, 2019 7:14 AM MST

I am not a history buff as you seem to be Walt. Growing up we lived the American Dream. When I was 3 my folks moved from Highland,Park, Michigan to Los Angeles, California. They bought a modest house in El Sereno, California. Two bedroom, one bath, kitchen, dining room and living room, enormous backyard. My sis and I shared a bedroom and slept in bunk beds. When I was 16 my dad added on another bedroom for me. I walked to grammar school and I walked to high school. When it rained I took the bus. My mom went to work when my sister was an infant so Daddy left for work when I got home from scho(he worked nights) and our neighbor was always home in case anything happened between 3:30 pm when daddy left for work and 5pm when mom walked in the door. Normal average typical American Family. I think our house cost $6000! It was in 1940 that my folks bought it. Not a tract house. It it was in an actual neighborhood where the houses were all individually designed.. So about prior to that on the frontier being where the American dream began I have no experience with that. My folks obeyed the laws paid their taxes loved being naturalized citizens. It was a good life. Nothing fancy I think our family income was lower than average but not by a lot. We didn't take vacations. I remember just two. But we ate well, dressed well (my mom was a seamstress and made all our clothes) and had a roof over our heads and were not ever threatened with losing the home or by creditors to whom we owed any money. We always paid our bills on time. SIGH. Long ago and far away. Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 13, 2019 9:58 AM MST
      December 13, 2019 9:55 AM MST