Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » When you see a homeless person do you cringe, turn away, feel disgust? Or do you think "there but for the grace of GOD go I?"

When you see a homeless person do you cringe, turn away, feel disgust? Or do you think "there but for the grace of GOD go I?"

Posted - December 21, 2019

Responses

Well, I certainly don't feel disgust . . . perhaps a slight sense of embarassment or awkwardness at feeling that I can't do much to help them, or not knowing how to help them . . . But sometimes I give them a little loose change, or I may buy them some soup or a hot drink or something that will make their lives more tolerable.

There was one homeless man I got to know in Huddersfield, where I live - my attention was drawn to him because he was crying and he had some nasty-looking injuries on him . . . he explained to me that they were burns from when someone had set fire to his sleeping bag a few nights before when he was asleep. From then on, over the next year or so, I'd buy him things to eat or drink from time to time, and on several occasions I'd give him £27 so that he could spend the night in a bed and breakfast place (he developed an arrangement with the B&B that if he could pay for a single night, they'd let him stay for up to a month if he did some odd jobs for them). Last time I saw him was a few month's ago, he was in a bad way physically because some of the second-degree burns on his legs had never healed properly on account of the cold and poor nutrition, but things were looking up because he'd been accepted for Universal Credit which meant he'd at least have a basic income and would be able to find somewhere to live. Never saw him stoned or smelt booze on his breath, he said he never touched alcohol or drugs and I believe him. He was a former van driver, he became homeless when he broke up with his partner. It goes to show how just one catastrophe in a person's life can lead to a downward spiral through no fault of their own. So there you have it, the worst and the best of human nature.

Homelessness has been on the rise since the recession, and in fact every year there seems to be more rough sleepers or beggars than the last. Do you see much of that in the town where you live, Rosie?
      December 21, 2019 3:40 PM MST

First of all Rev I just want to tell you how much I admire you. I truly do. I know that you are a very good person by your postings and how you kindly share what you think in a gracious manner. You CARE and don't leave it at that. You ACT. Bless you for being such a kind human being. We live in a retirement community in Hemet, California. There's not much here to draw the homeless. There is a large problem in states with mild climates. So California and Hawaii and I suspect Florida must have many more homeless than less hospitable states. Shelters are built to provide some warmth when the temperatures drop below a certain degree. From time to time we will see someone with a grocery shopping cart stuffed with all manner of things on our streets. All their belongings they take with them everywhere. Now and then we will see someone sleeping on a bus bench. I recall years ago I was driving to work and stopped at a red light and to my left staggering on the sidewalk holding on to a fence was someone who was very drunk or very ill. And ill clothed. That is when I thought "there but for the grace of GOD go I". I still see him in my mind's eye and that was many decades ago and I don't how many of such folks there are worldwide. A sad estate. I've read that a large percentage of homeless CHOOSE to be on the streets due to mental problems. Some have relatives who want them to come live with them  and reject that. Some..I don't know how many...are former military. There must be a solution to it. Surely society collectively could figure something out. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and personal experience. Caring is missing in action in our today. It's rare to come upon. It's my pleasure to have met you and know that you are out there. This time of year especially when many celebrate excesses jubilantly while others are on the verge of dying of neglect and loneliness. Mixed blessing Christmastime. Happy Sunday Rev! :)
      December 22, 2019 2:12 AM MST