Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ever swoop de swoop and do a loop de loop in a plane? I've seen it in the movies. Don't the folks in the plane BARF?

Ever swoop de swoop and do a loop de loop in a plane? I've seen it in the movies. Don't the folks in the plane BARF?

Posted - December 22, 2019

Responses

Rosie, I cannot even go on a ferris wheel.  I hate the looping and the swooping.  I am not amused in a Park of machines that want to make me go faster than a speeding bullet or fly in the air and drop down really quick like.  

NO.  Not amused.  
      December 22, 2019 11:00 AM MST

I think you know I have a fear of height Sharon. Jim has a pilot's license! Decades ago when he was in his 20's he had a job on a crew painting the Golden Gate Bridge. No kidding. Way up high looking down never bothers him at all. Me? If I go out on a balcony 3 stories high my knees get weak. I don't know what causes it so I'm with you about height. I guess you are either a height lover or not. No in-between. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday almost Monday to ya! :)
      December 23, 2019 12:38 AM MST

A plane nope. On a ride yes many times. 
      December 22, 2019 8:26 PM MST

Dudja get quesy m2c? Nauseated? I've seen some rides that just looking at makes me queasy. Getting on one them? I'd have to be drugged first. I would never go willingly. So you have no fear of heights whatsoever? Lucky you. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday almost Monday to you! :)
      December 23, 2019 12:40 AM MST

No. Looking at them is worse thqn riding. Normally the ride is so quick I have no time to get sick. 
    Iam more about ones that look jerky now. I rode one that repeatedly caused me to hit the sdes of my head on the shoulder latch. Gave me a headache and I was worried about my neck. (I broke it about 25yrs ago)  But I am good.
      December 23, 2019 4:31 AM MST

You WHAT? You broke your neck? Oh my gosh you could have been paralyzed for life!  The worst that ever happened to me neckwise is I got rear-ended when I was in my early 20's and got WHIPLASH and to this day I have neck problems. I cannot even almost imagine what a broken neck would feel like. So what on earth did you do to cause it? Thank you for your reply m2c! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 23, 2019 4:51 AM MST
      December 23, 2019 4:47 AM MST

Car wreck. Broke 3 vertebrates in my neck. The surgent fused them back together and put a steel plate in there to reinforce them. I was also about 3 months pregnant at the time. God was protecting us that day. I am not paralyzed (yes very easily could have been) I have complete motion and free range of movement. It did not effect my daughter at all. We were/are blessed. 
      December 23, 2019 4:57 AM MST

Oh my gosh honey you are truly blessed. That is a lot closer than I'd ever want to come to what you could have endured worst case. Does the steel plate bother you? It's a foreign thing inside your body. I had no idea. Wow. Well good on ya. I kinda think we do have guardian angels though. Who can prove otherwise? Thank you for your reply m2c! :) ((hugs))
      December 23, 2019 5:01 AM MST

No, I cannot even tell it is there. 
    I did get reared about 5yr after that. And did physical therapy. The doc was worried about applying direct heat to my neck but that is the only time I can thing of it having an effect on anything.  I am under standing orders that if my neck every swells for not reason to get it check immediatey as it could be a screw trying to back out of the plate. Again I have not had any problems. 

December 23, 2019 5:10 AM MST

No, in real life pilots only do that to annoy passengers...

December 22, 2019 8:57 PM MST

Aren't there stunt pilots who perform at air shows SP? They do all kinds of nose dives and rollovers and loop de loops? Scary watching. I cannot even almost imagine being in a plane while those goings on are going on. Thank you for your reply and the cute cartoon and Happy Sunday almost Monday to ya! :)
      December 23, 2019 12:42 AM MST

On a more serious note, there is almost no aerial situation (other than showing off) where a pilot would need to execute a loop.

In air combat, performing a conventional loop (doing a vertical 360 degree turn and continuing in the same direction) provides no advantage to the airplane doing the maneuver, so it's rarely done.

Combat pilots will sometimes do half-loops combined with a 180-degree roll maneuver to reverse direction while either gaining altitude (in a climbing half-loop) or airspeed (in a diving half-loop).

And, of course, in commercial aviation all a loop maneuver would do is make a percentage of the passengers onboard airsick.

December 22, 2019 9:17 PM MST

At air shows sometimes they do aerial acrobatics. Just watching makes me nervous. Being up there in the air? I'd have to be drunk or drugged. I'd not go willingly. What causes it though? Is it physical or mental...fear of heights? Thank you for your thoughtful reply SP. This post was edited by RosieG at December 23, 2019 12:44 AM MST
      December 23, 2019 12:43 AM MST

My understanding of the current research on motion sickness is scientists believe the reaction happens because our brains are getting incongruent signals from our visual input and the balance/orientation mechanisms in our inner ears.

Our brains interpret this mismatch as the symptoms of having consumed something poisonous, because some toxins can affect nervous system function. As a survival mechanism, our brain orders our digestive system to eject the possible poison we've eaten. Hence, the nausea and vomiting associated with motion sickness.

I am not aware of research that can explain why some people are more prone to it than others. For example, I seem to be utterly immune and actually sometimes enjoy being subjected to unexpected motions. 

December 23, 2019 5:52 PM MST

I believe you also told me that you have an inner compass in your head so wherever you are you don't get lost. Maybe they're connected? I've gotten lost/disoriented in familiar neighborhoods if I approach them from a different direction. Nothing looks familiar. Thank you for your reply SP and Happy Tuesday to thee! :)
      December 24, 2019 3:52 AM MST

That's a very interesting hypothesis, and one that has never occurred to me.

Perhaps the fact the "navigation" part of my brain does NOT get disoriented by the visual-motion sense mismatch is enough to suppress the vomiting reflex. I don't know we could test whether this is true or not, but it is an interesting speculation.
      December 24, 2019 7:32 AM MST

Hello Rosie:

I was riding with my friend in his vintage tail dragger, and he did a loop..  I didn't know it was coming and it was over before I had a chance to react..  Afterwards, I thought it was pretty cool.

What makes it work, is that centrifugal force keeps your butt IN the seat, and your lunch IN your stomach.

excon
      December 24, 2019 7:47 AM MST