Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » When did preachers et al etcetera and so forth stop talking about JESUS or GOD and focus entirely on talking politics?

When did preachers et al etcetera and so forth stop talking about JESUS or GOD and focus entirely on talking politics?

I mean the impeached deadhead is not an appropriate subject or topic to speak of in church yet many make it a focus of their sermons. Pushing Jesus and GOD out of the light and dragging the impeached deadhead into it front and center. Odd that. Weird. Bizarre. Queer. Peculiar.
No longer spreading THE WORD OF GOD. But rather spreading the word of an impeached deadhead. Go figger!
It's not bad enough that some of them are pedophiles or sexual deviates. They also now are political weapons to be used AGAINST THE PEOPLE and pro the rich the powerful the successful. An abomination.POWER CORRUPTS ALL OF THEM ABSOLUTELY!

Posted - December 26, 2019

Responses

In general terms, this probably goes back to when Ogg the Hunter promised Thag the Shaman some extra wildebeest meat if Thag would endorse Ogg and say that The Gods have chosen Ogg to be the next tribal chieftain.

If you're specifically referring to contemporary US politics, it largely grew out of the civil rights movement. Once white charismatic evangelical institutions lost the right to discriminate, they looked around for another issue to motivate their flock, and settled upon abortion. They also took their cues from the Nixon and Reagan administration about cloaking white supremacy sentiments in the language of "law and order" and "cultural degeneracy."

So, instead of Thag announcing Ogg is Chosen By God, we have "Christians" proclaiming the serial philanderer, reality TV star, and noted "money changer" of Russian oligarch funds into "legitimate" real estate  transactions as "The Chosen One."
      December 26, 2019 7:20 AM MST

What a concisely helpful creative and imaginative reply SP. Beyond NICE! Magnifique! Of course the ones who need to read this won't or if they do won't understand a word of it. Ogg and nog is billybog wog? Not their cuppa tea. It is mine for which I thank thee! Happy Thursday to thee SP! :)
      December 26, 2019 11:33 AM MST

When that's what their audience wanted to hear it.

December 26, 2019 10:14 AM MST

So they're all fakes phonies charlatans bogus shamans? Figgers. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      December 26, 2019 11:31 AM MST

When it became the easier, softer way for them.  I can buy your devotion and put up a church for Jesus.  Look how strong and godly and godfearing and goddam((ed powerful I really am up here on my TV pulpit and you can believe me because I  never lie and I am always right so send your prayers and money to me for the greater good of your immortal souls.  

That's all it takes.  A shill.  And the chief shill is in the White House as we speak.  Shilling and making sure the GOP is not ever chilling.  THEY WORK FOR HIM OR THEY ARE OUT.  They aren't chilling and the SHILL gets top billing.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 26, 2019 11:42 AM MST
      December 26, 2019 11:38 AM MST

• Those of us who have assumed the awesome and sobering responsibility of pulpit ministry, should understand that the proclaiming, exhorting, examining,teaching, preaching and presentation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ comes FIRST and FOREMOST, ahead of the political and secular issues of the world. As Christians, we are in the world, but not of the world. Since we live in the secular system and are required to adhere to the law and to authority, it behooves us to be knowledgeable of events as well as good citizens and responsible stewards of all we participate in. Now, with that said, I'll be the first to admit that there is a corrupt clergy and that there have been immoral transgressions and outright abuses in the hierarchy of some denominations. I am of the persuasion that neither Ecclesiastical nor civil authorities have done enough in prosecuting these crimes. However, let's be realistic about the corruption of human beings. There seems to be an insidious hypocrisy in a society that promotes and endorses "alternate" lifestyles, while at the same time launching outcries about the abuses of our children. In EVERY area of society, corruption is out of control, humans being what they are. Politicians, educators, law enforcement, entertainers, sports figures, medical practitioners, etc etc have all fallen into the trap. I have a responsibility to preach the inerrant truth of God's Word and present Him as the answer to the tribulations of a suffering humanity and do it without yielding or compromise. I also have a responsibility as a tax paying and voting citizen to voice my own concerns about the world around me and its effects on my family.
      December 26, 2019 12:10 PM MST

I have never heard a political sermon about any specific candidate. 
    I have had some about applying Bible truths to laws. 
      December 26, 2019 1:49 PM MST

How do you think the Catholic Church got so much power in Europe?
    When the people are ignorant, and a religious authority figure tells them "god says" ... they believe it.

In the US, it was only different because the Catholic Church represented "oppressors" of the "old world".
    Instead, preachers have "always" been seen as "the moral authority" in the US.

So even though America isn't a theocracy ... there is the tradition of deferring to religious authorities.

Prior to churches getting tax-exempt status ... the pulpit was used nearly as often as newspaper editorials, to sway voters on political matters.

December 26, 2019 3:18 PM MST