Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Some will tell ya they aren't religious they are "spiritual". Exactly what does that mean?

Some will tell ya they aren't religious they are "spiritual". Exactly what does that mean?

Posted - December 26, 2019

Responses

I think there is a significant number of people who have some sense or belief that consciousness transcends the material* world, but who feel formally organized religions are deeply flawed.

So, rather than associate with any particular religious doctrine (and God certainly gave us a large number to choose from...), they describe their beliefs about the transmaterial* nature of reality as "spiritual but not religious."

* = The term "material" here refers to materialism, which is the assertion our consciousness only exists in the "ordinary" Universe we observe and measure. We do not exist as conscious entities before conception/gestation and it ceases to exist when we die.
      December 26, 2019 6:42 AM MST

Thank you for attempting to explain the difference SP. My fault I see none. Whatever you call it. God or spirituality or enlightenment or sensitivity or empathy or compassion or being disposed to kindness and not judgment. I don't KNOW for sure. But I know nobody else KNOWS for sure either. What I do know is after I die there will either  be nothing whatsoever ever after or all will be revealed and I will exist in a different form on a different plane as energy possibly. I don't condemn nonbelievers and I don't automatically adore believers. It is a very personal thing and I resent bigly those who denigrate or deprecate beliefs of others. So you don't share them. So what? They are entitled to them but you are entitled to yours as well. I think the arrogant condescending supercilious looker downers are annoying as he**. Be not among them. I don't think you are. Happy Thursday! :)
      December 26, 2019 6:56 AM MST

One has to dig a little deeper.

Consider two people seen leaning against a wall.   One is using the wall for support, the other is holding the wall up.

One of them really isn't doing (or being) anything meaningful or useful.

This post was edited by tom jackson at December 26, 2019 10:21 AM MST
      December 26, 2019 10:19 AM MST

• You can be involved in religious practices within the confines of an organization which offers rules, regulations, rituals, legalism or a creed to follow and invest your time and energy by participation. The alternative is a faith walk built on a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. None of us are in effect "spiritual" nor are we what can be termed as "good". We can know the Word of God and we can come into saving knowledge of the Savior Jesus Christ. We can grow and mature as Christians and invest our faith and trust in the Triune Godhead of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. God is Spirit and must be worshiped in spirit and in truth. He is Creator, ruler of Heaven and Earth, omnipotent, omniscient, Divine intelligence and supreme wisdom. He is described in the Gospels as being the definition of Love and is the author of mercy and grace. We can be absorbed by religious practices and still not understand the nature of God or perceive the plan He has for our lives. There lies the difference.
      December 26, 2019 5:30 PM MST