Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is Windows 7 having a nervous breakdown?

Is Windows 7 having a nervous breakdown?

Yesterday I was informed Microsoft would no longer support Windows 7 as of January 14,2020. I"d be on my own. Good. I know. They've beem badgering me to switch to Windows 10 FOR MONTHS.

I just got through witnessing ANOTHER UPDATE! Not joking. NO kidding. WHY?

What the he** is going on? Anyone?

Posted - January 15, 2020

Responses

There was a major "bug" found in windows, and the company sent updates out to all users.  It won't happen again for Win 7 users.
      January 15, 2020 12:57 PM MST

I just thought that so WEIRD. Thank you for your reply Shuhak and Happy Friday! :)
      January 17, 2020 2:21 AM MST

That's Microsoft for you.

I use Win 7 too, and am relying on independent security software for safety, plus care in what I use the Internet for.

I bought the PC with WIN 7 loaded, and about a year later started receiving all the twaddle from MS about this marvellous new WIN 10. So eventually loaded it - it was free then.

It was absolute rubbish! It does nothing that 7 or indeed XP don't do, with one exception, and that was a useful thumb-nail feature added to the photo-filing system. The rest of it was scrappy, gimmicky, looked cheap and unfinished, and the regular controls were difficult to find. Worst of all it deleted my several web-site registrations.

Luckily MS offered the chance to revert to 7 (or 8 if you had used that), and I took it; but it took me a few hours to repair the damage.

One thing I had been careful to do was choose the "Custom install" button, much smaller than the glaring "INSTALL NOW" or whatever it was called. This meant I could omit a lot of surplus gimmicks like Cortana. Much more importantly, the full installation would have given MS far more access to my account and Internet use, presumably to sell my details to the advertising-agencies that prowl the WWW for that very purpose.    
      January 15, 2020 4:36 PM MST

I don't understand much of what you wrote m'dear. I am woefully ignorant about that stuff. But I LOVED XP. I accommodated to 7 eventually. I think 7 is very rude because while you are online it will take over and start updating. At least XP was courteous enough to wait until you were done and shut down before it updated. I know of NO ONE who has 10 who likes it. I have a security something or another that runs that the computer  guy installed when he installed 7. Also I have two email addresses. I kept earthlink and when we moved to Hemet I got Verizon. Earthlink regularly informs me of having blocked a virus. So I think I'm fairly well protected for however long I can get away with it.  It just ticks me off no end. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply. I like to have what I need and can use. I don't want a lot of bells and whistles that I will never use. SIGH. Happy Friday Durdle! :)
      January 17, 2020 2:29 AM MST

Oh dear! I am no expert either, just a computer user.

A lot of people liked Windows XP, and I have a spare, non-Internet computer with XP on it.

MS replaced XP with WIN-7, then they introduced WIN-8. The dealer from whom I bought my computer said 7 and 8 differed only in screen appearance, with WIN-8 using large symbols without words. Apparently that was so it could be used on  "smart" 'phones and lap-tops with small screens.

I don't recall having that problem with Windows 7 stopping to up-date while I was using it. However I used to have a lot of very long starting or closing-down waits while the system up-dated the computer. 

When I fell for Microsoft wanting me to install WIN-10,  it placed a large "button" on the screen, called "Install Now", or similar.

That loaded everything whether you wanted it or not; and I was advised that included software allowing Microsoft greater access to your use of the Internet. So I chose the much small button labelled "Custom" so I could exclude a lot of stuff including Cortana.

I was not sure what Cortana does, so I have just looked it up. This is what Wikipedia says:

"  Cortana is a voice-controlled virtual assistant for Microsoft Windows Phone 8.1. Comparable to Siri, the intelligent assistant enabled on Apple devices, Microsoft's Cortana will use the Bing search engine and data stored on the user's smartphone by to make personalized recommendations.  "

I am still puzzled by what it does. What does a "virtual assistant" help me do that I expect I am quite capable of doing for myself? So no use to me even if I wanted it. What data stored on my phone? I do not even have a "smart 'phone", and after trying one for a few months, I do not want one of them either. Like you say,  "bells and whistles".

"personalized"... horrible word!

The security software I use is called Bulldog, and it seems effective.
      January 21, 2020 3:29 PM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful reply Durdle. It seems we are victims of the whims of the operating system inventors. Planned obsolescence. Funny but decades ago manufacturers prided themselves on the quality of their products. Longevity was a goal. Invest in our refrigerator and it could last for your lifetime. Then they got wise and figgered out the better they made the product the less money they'd make because the people would have no reason to replace what wasn't broken. Greed kicked in and replaced pride. SIGH. Jim has a cell phone that his computer pal made SMART. I don't trust them or like them. Now Jim can get on his phone anything we get on the TV. Who the he** WANTS that of a phone fer cryin' out loud? Reminds me of Dick Tracy and his watch or James Bond and all tricks he has available to outwit the enemy. We are the enemy apparently. Sheesh. :(.
      January 22, 2020 4:10 AM MST