Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Will technology ever become so intricate complicated and cumbersome it will do us in? Example?

Will technology ever become so intricate complicated and cumbersome it will do us in? Example?

In 1948 my dad boughtt a TV, brought it home, plugged it in and VOILA! TV. Today you have to program the dam* thing. Same with phones and computers. You have to connect A to B and wiggle it a bit so C can fit it. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Keep going at this rate and what happens? I dunno but it's EXASPERATING!

Any of you get exasperated with the state of the art of today's technology or are you so brilliant nothing stymies you? SIGH.

Posted - January 19, 2020

Responses

No. Because the young kids will have grown up with it so it will be normal to them as they age. 
      January 19, 2020 6:40 AM MST

Right! Do YOU ever have any problems with any of it m2c? I know you are much younger than Jim and me and I"m telling you it is HE** trying to figure this stuff out! Fortunately Jim has a best friend named Alan who is brilliant at it. He set up our 55" TV several years ago and set up Jim's SMART phone yesterday. We're not stupid but honest to gosh we sure feel stupid about technology. We're as IGNORANT as possible. :( Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 19, 2020 7:04 AM MST
      January 19, 2020 7:02 AM MST

I did not like smart phones when they came out. My daughter had one and I messed with it aome but did not like it. And decided I would never get one lol. 
    Some members of my family introduced me to a game they were playing on their phone. (SongPop...you had to guess the song first when it plays a small portion of it) I was hooked. I played on my desktop. And got a smart phone just to play this game.  I also learned to use other things on it. Surf the web, picts, etc. (I use my phone on here most of the time..I am on it now) 
    As with most things the easiest way to learn is to just play with ir. And learn by doing. 
    I do not have a smart TV. I do not like Netflix etc because how long it takes me to find something to watch. And have not need to surf web on it. (I have my phone and desktop for that) Our TV is for cable most of the time. With the exception of Amazon Firestick. 

Most of us do not like new things until we get used to them. And then we love them...sometimes lol
      January 19, 2020 7:35 AM MST

I have no television so haven't a clue how to use a modern one with remote-control. (My parents' first TV had real switches and volume-control on it! They did later buy a  more modern type, plus video-recorder.)

I had a so-called "smart 'phone" but after a few months I gave it up as physically clumsy and very difficult to operate, paid off the remainder of the 2-year contract and bought a bog-standard, simple voice and text 'phone.

Yes, I think we are becoming surrounded by absurdly over-complicated things. Yes, as you say, we can learn to use them; but why need we learn to operate appliances etc that are far more complex than necessary? Who needs a "smart" fridge, for example, or a degree in electronics to defrost and cook a microwavable meal? 

Adding complexity for no genuine reason is not "progress" which anyway is a purely chronological term. Nor is it good engineering. It is done to appeal to those who like things to be complicated.

'''
    There is a curious sequel to this. You may have heard of the Rayburn and Aga oil- or gas- fired kitchen stoves, made in Britain and popular with owners of older homes with large kitchens, particularly country cottages - giving rise to the nick-name "Aga Sagas" for TV drama serials set in rural locations. They are extremely simple, using an oven and hot-plates with no more controls than a door and hinged covers. Aga tried to sell them via an outlet in New York but had little success. Investigating, they discovered that the ovens' inherent simplicity itself baffled many home-owners used to cookers covered in knobs and dials!  

January 21, 2020 4:24 PM MST