Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Danilo_G
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Language » On the evening news, a detective being interviewed about a crime suspect said, “we’re looking for a connectional link”.

On the evening news, a detective being interviewed about a crime suspect said, “we’re looking for a connectional link”.

What the heck?  First of all, it’s a connection, which is a noun, not an adjective. Secondly, it’s redundant: a connection IS a link, for crying out loud!  If it were correct, then what would be its opposite, an “unconnectional link”?  A “non-connectional link”?  A “connectional non-link”?  Thirdly, why do so many people try to make themselves seem more intelligent and/or more articulate than they really are by practically raping the English language?  Grrrrrrrrr. 

Posted - January 19, 2020

Responses

Why don't you worry about important nits rather than idiotic nits? 

Like the retarded nit-wit in the Oval?  

Instead of worrying about such idiocy as a wrong word?  What about the topic?  What LINK has NOT been connected, and why do we even need an impeachment trial when we have watched the evidence for 3 1/2 years?  

Worry about that instead of some silly word that we understand anyway.  I get what the dope means.  It's not something I would lose sleep over.  I lose sleep over global warming, a crook in office and a chorus of imbeciles ready to free the crook to continue committing global crimes and starting a war. 

I really do not give a ........ about connectional.  Seriously.  
      January 20, 2020 12:09 AM MST

Did someone say something?  Oh, I guess it’s just noise . . . wait, it’s Sharonna not answering a question again, nothing new. I sure wish she’d just ignore me; I certainly know when to ignore her. Gee, when is sammich-time around this place?  I’m getting hungry again. Yawn!

January 20, 2020 10:57 AM MST

Maybe if they tried connecting dots instead of links, they would have more success.

January 20, 2020 12:52 AM MST

It is appalling how unimportant proper grammar, spelling and sentence construction have become in the last ten years.  The newspaper (the New York Daily News) can be counted upon to have at least ten errors a day.  Worse, I've been finding errors in books by authors whose books I have been reading for years and who should know better, although perhaps it is the fault of their editors.  
      January 20, 2020 8:13 AM MST

He was trying to make people think he was more intelligent than the average cop. It made him sound like an idiot. I hear errors on the news quite often. I even called one in to a local station.
      January 20, 2020 9:58 AM MST

• He obviously doesn't know how to conversate.  LOL!

Dear God, what has become of our language?
      January 20, 2020 10:17 AM MST

Excuse me, I believe the word is languageate. 
    ~
      January 20, 2020 10:46 AM MST

That's for Nevan.
      January 20, 2020 11:07 AM MST