Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do people do weird things with their freedom, and should they be free to do so?

Do people do weird things with their freedom, and should they be free to do so?

Posted - January 20, 2020

Responses

Of course.
    Millions of people use their "freedom of choice" to choose to kill themselves slowly, by smoking.

Should they have that freedom?  I guess.
    But they should also have to pay the consequences, without any taxpayer support.
      January 20, 2020 9:01 AM MST

• I am not a smoker and I have never been
    but I am going to defend them in this situation.

"they should also have to pay the consequences, without any taxpayer support."

Unless of course the producers of the product outright lied about the content of its harmful and addictive ingredients which tobacco companies did along with the turning and looking the other way that the government was guilty of when they were supposed to be regulating the products.  At that point it does become the taxpayers responsibility and they should hold the overseeing government entities accountable for their failures.
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 21, 2020 10:13 AM MST
      January 20, 2020 4:35 PM MST

Nope.  I disagree.
    The consumer is ultimately responsible.

There is nothing in the Constitution authorizing the government to regulate products.
    Therefore, the citizens should not trust the government to do so.
      January 21, 2020 7:58 AM MST

• The consumer CAN NOT make proper and informed decisions when it is being based on faulty information or outright lies.  The one who lies and practices deceit at someone else's expense is absolutely the responsible party.  I dont give a free pass to those who lie, cheat, or steal.  The government can not be allowed to run amok while playing fast and loose with the protection of its citizens.  Accountability should be made paramount.

I am not aware of the constitution providing for clean drinking water and safe bridges either but still we expect it and we hope and trust that the entities seeing to them are doing what they promise.

Read up on Flint Michigan.
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 21, 2020 9:24 AM MST
      January 21, 2020 9:16 AM MST

We knew people died from smoke inhalation for hundreds of years before America existed.
    So anyone putting a tiny bit of thought into smoking would realize it was hazardous, even before being told so by government.
      January 22, 2020 7:34 AM MST

What about those who overindulge in unhealthy eating habits and junk foods?
    ...Alcohol consumption?
    ...Drive too fast?
    ... Firearm accidents?

I'm curious why multi-billion dollar industries are free to distribute highly-addictive, carcinogenic products to the general population with no consequences? We lockup Drug dealers peddling cocaine, Heroine, Crack, Meth, etc... 

Taxpayers would benefit by shutting down Tobacco companies or taxing them into oblivion. 

January 20, 2020 4:40 PM MST

I don't think food processing companies should be so free to produce and promote so much unhealthy junk food leading to obesity and health problems for people who tend to overindulge. 
      January 20, 2020 9:14 AM MST

If they're not free to do so, then is it really freedom?
      January 20, 2020 11:44 AM MST

Yes, and absolutely. As long as the exercise of that freedom does no harm to anyone else. 
      January 20, 2020 3:41 PM MST

If I'm not free to do weird things, then I don't want to live.
      January 20, 2020 4:19 PM MST

• The weirdest thing one can do with their freedom is take it for granted.
      January 20, 2020 4:28 PM MST

AMEN!
      January 20, 2020 4:29 PM MST

• Yes .. some people think that freedoms come without responsibility.  That ruins it for all of us when they abuse them.
      January 21, 2020 5:34 AM MST