Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » President Orange and UGLY just stated that he will cut social security to pay for the tax cuts. Like that Repubs?

President Orange and UGLY just stated that he will cut social security to pay for the tax cuts. Like that Repubs?

Posted - January 24, 2020

Responses

• It was just a matter of time ...  Now that he has all his loyal followers hooked, he's going in for the kill!
      January 24, 2020 2:45 AM MST

Trump said he was going to balance the budget and cut the deficit, too. Obamacare would “definitely be replaced” with “something so much better”. Not so much, as it turns out. 

Over 15,000 other lies too. 

January 24, 2020 3:42 AM MST

No. He said they are going to look at them. There are so many more entitlements than just SS/Medicare.  Welfare is an entitlement. And when the economy is doing better we do not need as much welfare etc.  

Transcript below Notice Trump does not mention SS nor Medicare. The interviewer does in the middle of a statement by Trump. And Trump says we will look (look can mean at fraud and waste etc he does not clarify)

JOE KERNEN: Entitlements ever be on your plate?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: At some point they will be. We have tremendous growth. We're going to have tremendous growth. This next year I-- it'll be toward the end of the year. The growth is going to be incredible. And at the right time, we will take a look at that. You know, that's actually the easiest of all things, if you look, cause it's such a--

JOE KERNEN: If you're willing--

PRESIDENT TRUMP: --big percentage.

JOE KERNEN: --to do some of the things that you said you wouldn't do in the past, though, in terms of Medicare--

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Well, we're going-- we're going look. We also have-- assets that we've never had. I mean we've never had growth like this. We never had a consumer that was taking in, through-- different means, over $10,000 a family. We never had the kind of-- the kind of things that we have. Look, our country is the hottest in the world. We have the hottest economy in the world. We have the best unemployment numbers we've ever had. African American, Asian American. Hispanics are doing so incredibly. Best they've ever done. Black. Best they've ever done. African American. The numbers are incredible. The poverty numbers. The unemployment and the employment. There's-- there is a difference, actually. But the unemployment and employment numbers for African Americans are the best we've ever had. You know, we just-- came up with a chart, and it was a very important to number to me. African American youth has the highest, by far, unemployment. The best unemployment numbers that they've ever had. And the best employment numbers. Right now we have almost 160 million people working in the United States, and we've never even been close to that, Joe.

January 24, 2020 6:26 AM MST

Social Security and Medicare are NOT entitlements.  Workers and employers pay into it.  If he wants to screw around with real entitlements, why doesn't he do something about big corporation and very wealthy people who avoid paying their fair tax shares.  
      January 24, 2020 8:25 AM MST

I agree with you 1000% on SS/Medicare. But that is the term the gov and media use for those programs. 

The tax reform did remove some of the deductions that businesses use to reduce their tax bill. 
      January 24, 2020 8:59 AM MST

The tax reform bill took away from little businesses and then gave it to big businesses.
      January 24, 2020 6:55 PM MST

The deductions that were removed were removed from ALL businesses. 
      January 24, 2020 7:03 PM MST

But they hurt the little guy not the big businesses.
      January 25, 2020 8:54 AM MST

Any decuction being removed hurts if it was one you used. Regardless of your size. Larger your size generally means a larger deduction amount was disallowed. 
      January 25, 2020 9:00 AM MST

True, but the larger businesses can afford to have their deductions lowered where it may mean out of business for the smaller ones.  Look at how many small farms have gone under because of the trade war with China.  None of the big ones have because they got enough money to make them more whole than the little guy.
      January 25, 2020 1:13 PM MST

What a business can or cannot afford will vary from business to business and each individual net income. 

I am a small business and my loosing a $2,000 deduction really does not effect my tax bill. At most it adds $650 to my tax balance due. (Figure roughly 33%) This will not make or break any small business.  Now a big business that deduction could be as much as $200,000 adding a tax burden of $65,000. A business that does not operate on a large net income this could certainly be harder to come up with. 
      January 25, 2020 1:27 PM MST

Not all small business may operate on the profit margin you do, so that $650 could be a serious problem for some.  
      January 25, 2020 9:38 PM MST

And that is the point.....we do not know what a business' margin is and what has to be adjusted to keep it there when a deduction is removed from the tax code. 
    But trust me, no one is cutting a job over $650/yr. 
      January 26, 2020 4:41 AM MST

So, you know what every small business person's margin is and that they won't have to close for $650?  I guess you don't consider any other reasons for small business that might cause this, like local taxes and ordinances.  Don't make the mistake of judging every other business owner by yourself.
      January 26, 2020 2:18 PM MST

Larry Kudlow on  Team Trump has always been on this roll.  It is not a surprise since he joined Team Trump.  Kudlow has always said let's kill this Beast through starvation = loook it up if you do not believe me.

This has been the goal the Rich since the days of Teddy and Franklin Roosevelt's ers's.  They help William Jefferson Clinton bust Unions through Nafta, kill the Middle Class through Free Trade.

I am so disgusted and PO'd as to be beyond words.  Yet I am surprised that most folks have not read enough to understand what the paid puppets in Congress are doing.  Read Malcom X's tirade on the Media to understand.  How about rereading Santana's famous quote "those that forget history are doomed to repeat its' mistakes".
      January 25, 2020 6:24 PM MST