Active Now

Danilo_G
Echooos
Element 99
Zack
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you believe right-wing extremists pose more of a threat than ISIS extremists?

Do you believe right-wing extremists pose more of a threat than ISIS extremists?

We have a programme in the UK called prevent - it runs through all schools, colleges and I think businesses - it's designed to pick up signs of extremism and especially terrorism threats. It focuses on people who are, or are in danger of being converted to extremist views. It protects others from those who try to radicalise others. 

So the latest findings of the programme apparently show that way more of the reports they received have been from right wing extremists than ISIS extremists.

What should we think about that? Are there really more right wing extremists? or are there less reports of ISIS type extremists? Which is more dangerous anyway?

Posted - November 22, 2016

Responses

• Isn't that the danger tho? that if they were allowed to propagate their right wing extremist views they would then have licence to do things like that? Like if crimes against say black people are no longer seen unacceptable because the right wing views are accepted..then this will mean more crimes.. like in the days kkk people turned a blind eye to what was happening.. there is a danger of same surely?
    BTW just to clarify I didn't say right wing extremists were or were not as dangerous as ISIS. 
      November 22, 2016 8:03 AM MST

No. Nothing should be a crime until there is a crime. Words are not crimes. I am not interested in having the thought police.
    I will not look the other way when as crime is committed. 
    I will not make excuses for crime by calling it other than what it is....it is never free speech, it is never a protest....
      November 23, 2016 9:33 AM MST

• but we werent talking about thoughts or speech.. we were talking about actions.. that's the reason for stopping either right wing or ISIS because we know they do act on it.. in ISIS case they radicalise children and young adults who then go to fight for ISIS and/or commit terrorist acts... in right wing case do you really think they sit around having a tea party discussing things? What is their purpose in trying to recruit people? to sit and have a confabulation - no it IS to commit crimes.. and that's the point.. it's to incite terrorism.. and in the right wing's case it's against anyone who isn't white or who doesn't fit their ideal.. 
    The programme isn't to stop people speaking racist thoughts.. that's illegal anyway because you just shouldn't spread hatred like that - we all have rights but when our rights harm others and their rights sorry we lose our rights.. but anyway the programme isnt to stop people saying racist things.. its to stop people trying to recruit vulnerable people to their subversive groups TO commit and perpetuate hate crimes.. note the word crimes in that. 
      November 23, 2016 3:14 PM MST

So you are ready to arrest the people "protesting" the Trump election... they are committing crimes: destruction of property, beating people they believe voted for Trump etc. They are NOT right wing....they are left wing. 
    It is not illegal here in the USA to say something racist. 
    No the TEA party (USA) does not sit around having tea. We discuss ideas and how to get them implemented in the government... sometimes we have a protest....a true protest, we don't commit crimes during our protests. 
    I don't know about your "the program" is exactly but it sounds like thought police. 
      November 23, 2016 3:54 PM MST

• Dear 2 cents.. in the words you have used yourself.. don't put words into my mouth.. please have the respect to read what i said. May i respectfully point out that this was a post about a UK programme called Prevent.. and when i say that it IS designed to catch people who are either radicalising or at risk from being radicalised then sorry but you should try to believe me and respect that.. I never said, never would and never did that it was about speech..  When you say that I am ready to arrest blah blah.. I never said that.. I never said anything either way on that.. I merely wrote a post, offering NO opinion of my own either way saying that the prevent programme which was designed to prevent and tackle ISIS extremists from radicalising vulnerable people and then using them to fight the ISIS cause.. has found that they have had way way way more reports brought to them from right wing extremists.. 
    I would ask you to be respectful please and not accuse me of anything.. fwiw it's worth anyone who destroys property is a criminal.. its against the law..  that would apply equally whether it was trump protestors or trump supporters.. right wing or left wing.. i never made any assertion either way on that.. please dont put words into my mouth.. this wasn't about criminal damage by anyone.. it wa about what it said it was about.. I am sorry if you have taken it all the wrong way.. racist language or discriminatory language is illegal here but that is definitely NOT the same as the programme which was about stopping people being recruited into active terrorist organisations.

And yes i accept your point that you don't know what the programme is about.. its about radicalisation.. into terrorist organisations like ISIS and right wing groups like the BNP that DO actively advocate violence .. i think you would agree that it's original intent to stop people who were vulnerable.(read the word vulnerable) being persuaded to join ISIS and fight..
      November 23, 2016 4:13 PM MST

• Dear 2cents.. as I can see you are genuinely confused and trying to confuse a programme to tackle radicalisation and vulnerable people being recruited into terrorism.. I have copied for you the link to the prevent programme..  please be assured that while you thought it sounded like thought police you had entirely misunderstood. Hopefully this will reassure you we are not talking about beliefs or even speech.. we are talking about those recruiting vulnerable people esp school children into terrorism. Terrorism IS a crime and it's an international one that affects actually both our countries potentially.. in the case of ISIS they have and continue to radicalise teenage and young adults and send them off to fight the ISIS cause... ISIS attacks can and have affected US and UK as well as europe.. so no we are not talking about people sitting around having a heated discussion and voicing a few controversial ideas.... we are talking about criminal activity.. 
    The point of the post was to discuss why the programme ended up getting way more right wing extremists recruiting vulnerable people than ISIS ones.. is there a reason? can we trust that the programme is working properly? is it any good? are right wing extremists more or less dangerous than ISIS extremists...that was the post.. none of this attacking me and hinting that *I* am someone who is against free speech is necessary... I think you just misunderstood and attacked the messenger here .. but it's ok i can see you did it from mistaken understanding rather than maliciousness I think.. so just to clarify.. when we say right wing here we mean BNP and we mean those who DO actively carry out hate crimes and other criminal activity in the name of extreme right wing fantaticism.. we arent talking about thoughts or even being right wing.. one can be on the right wing but have no intention of ever doing anything criminal... we are talking about extremists and by definition here that means those who are so extreme that they DO promote and engage in terrorism either racially motivated or in the iSIS case religion.  Hope this helps
      November 23, 2016 4:27 PM MST

I understand that there seems to be a miscommunication here. I think probably because you are not from the USA and here in the US for the past election season Trump supporters (right wing people in the USA) have been accused of  racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic, Islamiphobic Etc..... And reading your question comes off as telling us (ring wingers) that we are the same or similar to ISIS. 
      November 23, 2016 6:57 PM MST

Yes, there is a miscommunication.

Trump supporters in the USA have NOT been "accused" of racism, sexism, xenophobia, etc.

Trump supporters have been criticized for their DEMONSTRATED racism, sexism, xenophobia, etc. AND for explicitly or implicitly supporting Trump's racist/sexist/xenophobic rhetoric.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/06/racial-anxiety-is-a-huge-driver-of-support-for-donald-trump-two-new-studies-find/

http://www.vox.com/2016/11/1/13480416/trump-supporters-sexism

http://www.businessinsider.com/who-are-trump-supporters-2016-10

November 23, 2016 7:18 PM MST

Thank you OS you proved my point. 

November 24, 2016 5:02 AM MST

Nationalists are the terrorists Americans are slow to talk about.
      November 22, 2016 5:50 AM MST

• Very good point, and that should not only be applied to the U.S.

November 22, 2016 5:57 AM MST

• Right wing, left wing, religious, or whatever.  All extremists are dangerous and pose equal threats. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 23, 2016 9:34 AM MST
      November 22, 2016 5:58 AM MST

• But how are they to be stopped, how does the phenomena abait.

It is improbable that, if ISIS is defeated in the Middle East, Islamic extremism will die out too.

It's a meme, isn't it? or something that is becoming organic.
      November 22, 2016 6:14 AM MST

• This particular type of extremism won't go away until we get rid of the parties of God.  Difficult to do in nations for whom 'God' is a foundation stone.
      November 22, 2016 6:18 AM MST

• Which phenomena?  Extremism in general or ISIS's brand of it?
      November 22, 2016 6:27 AM MST

• Extremism in general
      November 22, 2016 7:45 AM MST

• The easiest answer to that is, 'Don't treat people like they're expendable'.  Ultimately, I think few extremist or terrorist groups form without some kind of provocation.  That said, there will always be those who insist on doing things their way.  I tend to view these people as absolutists and they are the biggest danger to future peace, wherever you look in the world.

Whether they come from a social, political or religious background is immaterial; absolutists are the proverbial fly in the ointment of any negotiated, peaceful settlement to any argument, big or small.
      November 22, 2016 8:12 AM MST

• A collective effort to oppose any and all forms of authoritarianism and marginalizing peoples liberties.  Extremism exist as  mostly reactions  to people not minding their own business and a sense that people need to be controlled and engineered  by others.

A gross over simplification yes,  but that's what it distills down to.  Reject religious and political  authority.  It's seen as a solution, ( we can legislate extremism away!)   but it is the root cause and propagates extremist and is extremist in and of itself.  
      November 22, 2016 10:02 AM MST

• I agree (an interesting and ultimately valid take on legislating extremisms away, that's draconian, yes?) 
    A beautifully put point. Thank you.
      November 22, 2016 2:02 PM MST

Hello A:

Lemme see..  Right wing extremists v ISIS extremists...  Seems to me that BOTH of 'em want me to adhere to THEIR religion..  I ain't interested..

excon
      November 22, 2016 6:24 AM MST

Extremists come in all forms and they can all be dangerous and they don't have to be involved in any form of politics, they are just nuts.
      November 22, 2016 9:52 AM MST

I just read that the terrorist from the USA kill more people in the USA than terrorists from any other place by 10 times as often. 

Kill those damned FERRRINERS. Tell them to go back to Russia, no wait.... Africa, no.... Japan, no.... Jerusalem.  I don't know where they came from, but KILL 'em. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 22, 2016 9:57 AM MST
      November 22, 2016 9:55 AM MST

• Not the report I read. There seemed to be more total attacks by "home grown" groups, but outside terrorists have killed more people total in fewer attacks. You know, the old statistics game. You can bend the numbers how you want...
      November 22, 2016 10:03 AM MST

Just because terrorists can hurl a bomb farther, they get a bad rap.  Everyone is just jealous.

THis must be OLD, like last week or something....
    WASHINGTON — In the 14 years since Al Qaeda carried out attacks on New York and the Pentagon, extremists have regularly executed smaller lethal assaults in the United States, explaining their motives in online manifestoes or social media rants.

But the breakdown of extremist ideologies behind those attacks may come as a surprise. Since Sept. 11, 2001, nearly twice as many people have been killed by white supremacists, antigovernment fanatics and other non-Muslim extremists than by radical Muslims: 48 have been killed by extremists who are not Muslim, including the recent mass killing in Charleston, S.C., compared with 26 by self-proclaimed jihadists, according to a count by New America, a Washington research center.

The slaying of nine African-Americans in a Charleston church last week, with an avowed white supremacist charged with their murders, was a particularly savage case.

But it is only the latest in a string of lethal attacks by people espousing racial hatred, hostility to government and theories such as those of the “sovereign citizen” movement, which denies the legitimacy of most statutory law. The assaults have taken the lives of police officers, members of racial or religious minorities and random civilians.
    Continue reading the main story 

Non-Muslim extremists have carried out 19 such attacks since Sept. 11, according to the latest count, compiled by David Sterman, a New America program associate, and overseen by Peter Bergen, a terrorism expert   etc.... This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 23, 2016 9:35 AM MST
      November 22, 2016 10:04 AM MST

• Well Charleston wasn't last week and it doesn't mention Orlando or San Bernanidod. How you spell that?

Honestly. I am done.

Really really done.

I don't want to eat Turkey either.

WHOEVER RULES THE SPICE RULES THE UNIVERSE!!!!!!! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 23, 2016 3:57 PM MST
      November 22, 2016 10:55 AM MST