Discussion » Questions » Music » Have you had a recent music discovery?

Have you had a recent music discovery?

Relatively recently I discovered that lead singer of The Animals, Eric Burdon, also sang the lead vocalist part in War's "Spill the Wine."

Both songs are great to me! I've always liked both songs but never knew he sang both of them. :)

Posted - February 10, 2020

Responses

Your taste is spot on!
    Both Don and I are big fans of Eric Burdon.  These are two outstanding songs.
    In fact, I have a story about the Spill The Wine song that always makes me smile.
    :) :)
      February 11, 2020 12:46 AM MST

Thanks for coming over, Merlin! And thanks for helping with the song title -- I edited my question to the correct title. Don't know why I posted it wrong. :) Feel free to share the "Spill the Wine" story if you wish, but no pressure. :)

I also remember seeing this video of "The House of the Rising Sun" and thinking, "I never would have guessed this singer looked like this - - that strong bass-sounding soulful voice coming out of this little boyish-looking guy." :) Yeah, I thought he was pretty attractive, too, ha!

The two songs are so different to me -- Burdon, along with everyone on both songs, does so well to me. :) 
      February 11, 2020 5:59 AM MST

Ahhh. Welby. You hit the spot with me on that. I have always loved the Hollies from the moment my ears were graced with the wonderfully cool and catchy "Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress." I adore Burdon, and I have not even gotten to "Spill The Wine'!!! I freaking Love, Love, Love, Love, L O V E that song!!! lol

I've had several musical discoveries lately. One was actually a song by the Carpenters that I had Nooooooooooooooooooooo idea existed! It's the ridiculously named "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft." Twinkle and I discussed this song at length the other night. It amazes me that throughout my entire life, this tune totally escaped my radar. How in the fresh hell did that happen?! lol

As for my other discoveries, I want to thank YouTube because I may have never become cognizant of the artists out there who I would have missed. Hah! I'll spare you the lengthy list, but recently, I have found a great appreciation and love for an artist named Aldous Harding. Here is but a sample of her work called "The Barrel." Her artistry is transcendental, moves heaven and earth. Watching her perform, I wonder where she goes in her head. Wherever that may be, I really wish I could go along with her...

February 11, 2020 7:21 AM MST

All I could think of at first, after listening and watching Harding, was to say that while you go off with Harding in her head, I'll go explore some other head things with the keyboardist.
    ;)

And I am simply too tired now to give the Carpenters' song the respect it deserves. I heard her opening notes and saw six minutes remained in the video- - I will come back. I love her voice and want to listen when I'm not wiped out. I've never heard this song.

Thank you so much for answering! I'm glad you enjoyed my question.

And those two separate opening instrumental licks in "Long Cool Woman" -- arguably, the best instrumental intro to any song I've heard!!!!  
    :)
      February 11, 2020 6:17 PM MST

And I'm back -- I just finished listening to "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft." I had no idea at all that this song existed, either. Thank you for sharing it with me. I quite like it. The little radio DJ skit intro is sort of cute --  the DJ himself is cute, too.

Funny -- the lyrics that struck me the strongest were "We are your friends," repeated a couple of times in the song. And those are the lyrics that end up ending the song, too. 
    Thank you to you Jonny Goat and Twinkle for being my friends.
    And I would have enjoyed talking with you both about the song.

I hope my other comments about the keyboardist with Harding were not too base. But I've been in a base mode a bit lately. :)
      February 12, 2020 5:26 AM MST

Thanks for the reply, Welby! 
    No, you weren't off. The KB player isn't exactly my taste, but I can see where he would appeal to someone. He isn't hideous. LOL

I'm glad to see someone else was unaware of that Carpenter song. I was totally caught off guard and thought I was losing my mind!
    That song has an interesting backstory in relation to "World Contact Day" which was declared in March 1953 by an organization called the International Flying Saucer Bureau (IFSB), as a day on which all IFSB members would attempt to send a telepathic message into space.

A group called Klaatu originally recorded the tune.

Twinkle also made me aware of another cover recorded by a band called "Babes in Toyland"
    -

February 12, 2020 10:46 AM MST

Very interesting stuff here, hanks, again!

I'll be back to listen maybe tomorrow - - I'm zonked.

you'll have  to check out my new answer to my own question -- because I goofed -- only tonight I realized that The Animals sang "House of the Rising Sun, " not The Hollies! :) And, deep down, I knew that -- don't know why I posted it as The Hollies. I fixed my question's wording now.

And, yeah, that guy is definitely not hideous! :)
      February 12, 2020 9:53 PM MST

Again, here I am -- this time it took me a while to get back here to your post - - have to get to work now but I will listen!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 13, 2020 1:24 PM MST
      February 13, 2020 10:50 AM MST

Hi Johnny G.O.A.T. :)  Don turned me onto Boys in Toyland years ago.  I have heard that version before but not the original nor The Carpenters version.
    Had I just not listened to all three of them side by side, I don't think I would have recognized them being the same song.  I didn't check the release dates but they probably weren't too close together.
    It's cool you and Twinkle and Welby produced different versions of the same thought and words.
    Communication is key!  When done with an open mind instead of a defensive, angry, and frightened one, the possibilities are endless.

This post was edited by Merlin at February 16, 2020 12:21 PM MST
      February 13, 2020 12:46 PM MST

I'm not that well versed with this group until I stumbled upon them too. 
      February 13, 2020 4:04 PM MST

Well, still getting home too late for my preference- - tired as sh**. Just eating my supper.

I'll at least get to one of your songs now. One down, at least. I have tons of songs I want to get to that people have posted to me. but you're first. :)

Listening to Klaatu. For some reason that minute of nature sounds and someone walking creeped me out. And I much prefer The Carpenters' take on the song.

I think I'm out of here for the night. See you.

I did not like Klaatu at all.

but I'm glad I listened and thanks for posting the song.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 14, 2020 6:35 PM MST
      February 14, 2020 6:32 PM MST

Listening now to Babes in Toyland - - hadn't heard of them, I don't think. Their sound reminds me of A Great Big World. The lead singer on this song, especially.

I think I still prefer The Carpenters version of the song. :)

Thanks for answering and sharing the songs.
    Sorry so late in getting to them.
      February 15, 2020 5:47 AM MST

OK -- another huge "discovery" -- over two days after posting my question, and, after talking with a friend,  I realized my huge mistake -- The Hollies did not sing "House of the Rising Sun" -- it was The Animals. And Eric Burdon sang as part of The Animals, not The Hollies.

I've now fixed my question.

Shows how much any of you pay attention to my questions!! 
    ;)

;)

My big thanks to Merlin and Jonny G.O.A.T.  who actually stopped by and answered! And to Element 99 who also stopped by with a "like" to my question. The rest of you can go out in front of my place and shovel the snow and freezing rain off my driveway and sidewalk and porch.
      February 12, 2020 8:26 PM MST

That'll Learn Um!!

You are so darn cute when you try to be curt!!

You are always a pleasure to answer, Welby.  I would answer more if I only had the time.
      February 12, 2020 11:26 PM MST

It's all good, yes. Thanks.

And go ahead and call me Cute Curt.   ;)
      February 13, 2020 10:49 AM MST

When I fell in love with Nirvana, I listened to everything Kurt recommended.   I found Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Hole, L7, The Breeders, Alice in Chains and the whole Seattle sound.  

All great stuff.

Now I found Billie and I found through her Lana Del Rey, and a ton of great singers she loves.  But no one is a good to me as she is.  

And Lana Del Rey is amazing.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 13, 2020 5:10 PM MST
      February 13, 2020 10:59 AM MST

I found this when I was looking up dance videos.  I love this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5TIDDx57-0 This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 13, 2020 12:49 PM MST
      February 13, 2020 11:09 AM MST

February 13, 2020 11:19 AM MST

https://youtu.be/nNA9ru2Ox5o This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 16, 2020 12:28 PM MST
      February 13, 2020 11:24 AM MST

This leading gal isn't too shabby in her dance moves either.
    Maybe they should pair your guy and this gal together.
    Now, that would be a great dancing duo!
      February 13, 2020 1:00 PM MST

What guy?   If you mean one of the guys in the videos?  They all dance together here and there.  It depends on the song.  

The two girls have won so many dance awards on so many talent shows already, they are very famous.  That is Caycee Rice and Bailey Sok.  I love them.

I'm not sure what the guy's name is that I am wild about on here, but everytime I see him, I watch him .   I cannot believe how graceful he is when he is doing something that is so gymnastic.  He should be shaking the floor when he lands and he is as light as a feather and just going into another amazing move.  

So, glad you got a chance to see some of this.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 16, 2020 12:28 PM MST
      February 14, 2020 6:39 PM MST

The guy in the yellow t shirt is my favorite dancer ever.  He's after the intro.  You cannot miss him.  He's amazing.   Oh there he is, right on the front picture here.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 16, 2020 12:28 PM MST
      February 13, 2020 11:33 AM MST

I love all dance and these guys and gals are amazing.  I agree.  He is definitely AWESOME. 
      February 13, 2020 12:57 PM MST

I love all dance too.  Thank god we have arms and legs.  
      February 14, 2020 6:40 PM MST