Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do you hear what I hear? Do you see what I see? Do you fear what I fear?

Do you hear what I hear? Do you see what I see? Do you fear what I fear?

Or are you deaf and blind to my concerns as I am deaf and blind to yours?

Posted - February 16, 2020

Responses

No one sees exactly what another sees (not even the same colors).  No one hears the exact same words as another hears, as their interpretation of the words differs depending on their teaching, situation, and/or life experiences.    While some may fear the exact same thing (i.e. spiders), it may be for different reasons.  Everyone is different.  No two people have the exact same teachings, knowledge, or life experiences.  This uniqueness is what allows us to have different perspectives.  Even so, we can agree on things.  But even in agreement we may not be seeing it the exact same way.  
    Usually we turn a deaf ear and/or a blind eye to others, it's usually because we know we're right and they aren't.  We've made up our minds and then closed them.  We're all guilty of doing this at one time or another.
      February 16, 2020 3:00 PM MST

So at least in that one respect we are all alike. Thank you for your thoughtful reply Shuhak. Some of us are less different and some of us are more different. How big the differences are varies vastly.
      February 17, 2020 2:45 AM MST

Let's see what Laurel and Yanny have to say about it...

February 16, 2020 3:22 PM MST

I can only hear Laurel. What about you?
      February 16, 2020 5:30 PM MST

When the Yanny frequency spectrum is driven low, I can hear Yanny distinctly. At all other times, I hear it as kind of a weird background counterpoint to Laurel.

The New York Times had an excellent web page when this phenomenon first emerged where you could manually adjust the frequency spectrum of each word and see under what circumstances you heard either one. But I doubt it's up anymore.
      February 16, 2020 5:35 PM MST

WHOOSH. Right over my head. I have no idea to what this alludes SP. Thank you for presenting it. Now do you have time to EXPLAIN it?
      February 17, 2020 2:46 AM MST

I suggest you read the novel  No Exit by Sarte.

Hell is other people.  That's the plot.  
      February 16, 2020 4:57 PM MST

I did. Manymanymany DECADES ago Sharon. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thy.
      February 17, 2020 2:46 AM MST