Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Legal » Should the Bryant family sue the company which owned/operated the helicopter in which Kobe and Gigi Bryant died?

Should the Bryant family sue the company which owned/operated the helicopter in which Kobe and Gigi Bryant died?

According to news reports, Vanessa Bryant is suing Island Express Helicopters, claiming that they are legally responsible for the (apparent) poor decisions of the helicopter pilot who was flying the crashed aircraft in which Kobe Bryant, Gigi Bryant, and seven others were killed.

I don't quite get the point of the lawsuit. The Bryant family has TONS of money. Kobe's death will in no way deny the rest of the Bryant family a life of generational luxury.

I might understand if the Bryants were part of a multi-party lawsuit involving the other passengers. Or if the Bryants used their celebrity and influence to push for better safety standards, such as requiring helicopters to have terrain warning radar, I would understand and strongly support that effort.

But basically suing the helicopter company for money? What's the point? Is there something I'm missing here?

Posted - February 25, 2020

Responses

You’re right, to what end?

Theory: Ambulance chasing LA lawyers in Vanessa’s ear, aiming to enrich themselves at the expense of the other employees of Island Express who (had nothing to do with the tragedy, but) will likely become unemployed when the company becomes insolvent after the trial. 

February 25, 2020 7:54 PM MST

Your theory is certainly plausible.

I am often surprised (though I should not be) at just how mercenary people who have all the money they need can be.
      February 25, 2020 8:27 PM MST

• I don't care what they do.  I'm tired of hearing the name Kobe.
      February 26, 2020 11:29 AM MST

I sympathize with your "Kobe fatigue." However, his passing has highlighted some interesting aspects of our culture.
      February 26, 2020 11:42 AM MST