Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I'm not a selfie fan. I just wonder what awe and draw is there since it seems I am surrounded by them. I don't understand them. Do you?

I'm not a selfie fan. I just wonder what awe and draw is there since it seems I am surrounded by them. I don't understand them. Do you?

Posted - February 28, 2020

Responses

They are posting picts of themselves on social media. 

I have only taken two selfies on purpose. With my daughter on her wedding day.  And once to look at my forehead I had fell on the ice into a metal column. 
      February 28, 2020 10:08 AM MST

Unless you're taking photos while you're on vacation or to memorialize some important thing (like falling and face-planting a metal column), constant selfie-taking and posting on social media is a sign (in my opinion) of people who are looking for attention.  "Look at me, I'm in y underwear."  "Look at me, I'm eating a meal."  "Look at me, I'm taking a piece of lettuce out of my teeth."
      February 28, 2020 10:23 AM MST

Precisely my thoughts too L...exactly. Is it a fixation on the need for attention 24/7? Thank you for your helpful informative and thoughtful reply! :)
      February 28, 2020 11:13 AM MST

It would seem that way.  
      February 28, 2020 11:28 AM MST

:):):)
      February 28, 2020 11:30 AM MST

hmm it's complicated... and part of a new generation thing.. young people these days have grown up with social media and internet - and one of the consequences is the supposed need for a digital presence.. and part of that is pictures.. One of the unfortunate side effects too is young people posting pics of themselves doing things or just face selfies - conforming to expectations, is that they come to need or rely on the likes.. .like-addiction I will call it.. the need for affirmation.. to be praised, admired... Sadly the long-term effect is often the opposite - the buzz from positive feedback is short lives and leaves them craving more and more attention and feeling very down in between or if they aren't liked a lot.. 
      February 28, 2020 11:01 AM MST

I think it's appalling that various programs BEG you to "Like" them. People too. Begging to be "liked" so you feel validated? If you don't like yourself there is a deep hole within you that you EXPECT others to fill. I think I shall ask about that Addb. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. This post was edited by RosieG at February 28, 2020 11:35 AM MST
      February 28, 2020 11:15 AM MST

Glad to have given inspiration :) I think sadly that some young people have fallen into this trap.. they have basically low self-esteem as they have grown up in an a world where 'likes' are the main means of validation and self becomes reliant on this 
      February 28, 2020 11:36 AM MST

I saw the other day there are now small drones that you can program to follow you around and film you.
    Can you imagine a bunch of those in a museum, or at a zoo, or some other venue?
    Pain. In. The. Arse.

Maybe I should get a radio-jammer, and get ahead of the trend.  LOL
      February 28, 2020 11:21 AM MST

Here in New York, jammers are illegal (perhaps in the country, not sure).  I wanted to buy one so I don't have to listen to the passengers on my bus going to and from work yammering on their phones about the most inane things.  Why can't people just be quiet - I don't make them read my book.  Why do they make me listen to their phone conversations?
      February 28, 2020 11:32 AM MST

Yeah, they are illegal to use, because the airwaves are public property.  But you can still legally own one.
    There was a case a few years ago, where a commuter got caught jamming cell signals, because the others on the bus/train noticed the device and they only lost signal when he came aboard.  lol

That's another thing I think Europe has right ... places like theaters can jam cell phones in the building, as long as it doesn't interfere with the signal outside of their property.

February 28, 2020 1:32 PM MST

Since I ride to and from work with the same people most every day, I'm afraid that would happen to me.  
      February 29, 2020 8:32 AM MST

Oh now c'mon Walt. D'ya really think I'm THAT naive? Who does that? Oh. Wait. YOU'RE SERIOUS? OMG! What's next on the ego agenda? Sheesh. Thank you for the reply which I hope you're joking about. You are aren't you? OMG! :(
      February 28, 2020 11:34 AM MST

Totally serious. Google the phrase "selfie drone".  

When I read about it, I had a "million dollar idea".  Drones for parents to follow their children.
    Want to know where your kid is 24/7?  Get a stalker drone.  LOL

Of course, then we would have actual stalkers using drones. This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at February 28, 2020 1:35 PM MST
      February 28, 2020 1:35 PM MST