Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Are you watching more or less TV in the last few years? If it's less, why?

Are you watching more or less TV in the last few years? If it's less, why?

I rarely watch TV anymore for two reasons.  I hate the endless commercials if I can actually find something that interests me.  I also seem to catch everything on a rerun!

How about you? 

edward norton watching tv watch tv tv weekend

Posted - September 22, 2016

Responses

September 23, 2016 2:37 PM MDT

I don't listen even to commercial radio stations, as they are so irritating.

September 23, 2016 2:41 PM MDT

Same here.  It's rare when I do.

September 23, 2016 2:53 PM MDT

less, i just get more into the net these days

September 24, 2016 5:44 PM MDT

Less.  I did enjoy TV until I started watching TV then got comfy.  Now I usually fall asleep before the show ends...lol

September 22, 2016 2:47 PM MDT

• Sitcoms and crime dramas ... Not me... We have some good government stations that do investigative work and docos ... Either that or a book

September 22, 2016 2:50 PM MDT

I used to watch a lot more before I was really on the Internet.  The Internet also probably killed my TV time.

My husband and I do watch Netflix at night before we drift off.  It's a nice way to see things you wouldn't normally watch and it's commercial free.

September 22, 2016 3:04 PM MDT

I love the documentaries and I catch them on Netflix, commercial free.  They are usually shown on the public TV stations as well without commercial interruption.

September 22, 2016 3:05 PM MDT

• Actual TV as intended to be watched, much less.

TV shows and movies in general, much more than I ever used to.

September 22, 2016 3:06 PM MDT

• Same situation here ... Also YouTube has some great docos though often the quality leaves something to be desired :)

September 22, 2016 3:11 PM MDT

I shut it off over seven years ago just after the conversion.  I will watch the occassional movie on DVD or documentaries either online or on DVD and a few things on youtube.

September 22, 2016 3:13 PM MDT

I haven't watched television in 4 years or more. For me television has as much to offer as watching grass grow. For that matter most movies and music have nothing to offer me.

September 22, 2016 3:15 PM MDT

Youtube used to have a lot more until the makers of the show had them pulled or have been demanding a fee for viewership.  I can't really blame them, but I miss the days of being able to find whatever I wanted.  

September 22, 2016 3:16 PM MDT

If I were to include Netflix into my TV time, then yes, I am not really watching that much less.  It's traditional TV shows that I don't catch that often.  I used to watch all sorts of sitcoms and dramas.

September 22, 2016 3:17 PM MDT

I bet you haven't missed much.  

I will occasionally put the news on and think to myself, "why did I do that?"

Yeh, I could live without TV at this point.

September 22, 2016 3:19 PM MDT

• Only movies and occasion special & news.  

I don't watch much else

September 22, 2016 3:30 PM MDT

• About the same, but I almost only watch streaming now. 

September 22, 2016 3:38 PM MDT

Less if anything!

I do not have a television, do not need one; so watch any TV only occasionally when visiting a friend or relative.

At least the BBC channels are mercifully free of wretched advertisements breaking into the programmes to try by semi-illiterate twaddle to convince me to buy something I don't need, or would not use anyway, or cannot afford!

I have stayed in hotels only rarely, and then only on work trips not by choice; but found I could not watch the telly in my room because having no TV at home, I have no idea how to use the remote controllers. (TVs used to have 2 or 4, perhaps 4, simple controls on the cabinet, but no, that's too easy - let's make the task complicated, confusing and non-intuitive, merely because we can). I didn't mind that too much, but for some reason hotels don't have radios in the rooms - unless they do as an extra function of the TV so I could not listen to it anyway. 

Many people seem baffled by my choice, but I know several others who choose similarly.

The TV Licencing Authority doesn't believe one can live without it either, and their occasional circulars telling you must have a licence to watch telly - including by Internet - are brusque nearly to the point of bullying. I return them completed correctly as "no television", but sometimes write wry comments like "Hello - haven't heard from you since last year!" on them. [The "TV Licence" is really the subscription to BBC services, and at roughly £150 a year is remarkably cheap at barely £3 a week, cheaper now than a pint of beer!]

September 22, 2016 3:47 PM MDT

I really don't miss it.  

September 22, 2016 5:02 PM MDT

More...I have nothing else to except AM

September 22, 2016 7:26 PM MDT

I have a feeling more and more of us feel this way.

September 22, 2016 8:24 PM MDT

Good for you and I think you are right...they think we can't live without them.

Funny that you mention the BBC.  Haven't watched it in a long time, but my husband and I were watching it last night.  I always liked their format.

September 22, 2016 8:26 PM MDT