Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Who cares for the homeless or vagrants that get effected by the corona virus...,it's not their fault that they caught the virus...

Who cares for the homeless or vagrants that get effected by the corona virus...,it's not their fault that they caught the virus...

How do the poor and homeless  get medical care if they do have acess to money....What do people in America do if they don't have medical insurance and have conditions like Diabetes.  ?  

Posted - March 2, 2020

Responses

I am not poor or homeless but I am uninsured.  I would never think of going to a doctor over a cold or flu.   

I would assume a person with diabetes would try to find a job with health insurance. Or try to get Medicaid through their state. 
      March 2, 2020 2:02 PM MST

It worries me as to what you have to tolerate.....if you broke your arm or got an infection...how much to see a doctor or the cost of your meds.. . 
      March 2, 2020 2:34 PM MST

If NEEDED to go to the Doc or hospital, I go and pay directly to them.  If it is a higher amount than I can pay then I have to set up a payment plan or it will go on my credit report as a bad debt. I currently make a payment to a hospital and the doctors through that hospital. And another to a healthcare clinic (it should be paid off this fall) Here if no insurance, you have to pay $50 at the Doc office before the appointment. But not at the hospital (Urgent care or ER) They will bill you later.

Anyone can go to an ER and they must treat you regardless of ability to pay. But they will bill you.   This post was edited by my2cents at March 3, 2020 10:59 AM MST
      March 2, 2020 5:33 PM MST

Here in New York City, anyone who walks into an emergency room must be treated - insured or not, able to pay or not.  Those who have insurance pay enough in premiums to cover those who can't pay and Medicaid covers some as well as does Medicare, if you're eligible.
      March 2, 2020 2:51 PM MST

Well ,that's good...people are not just left to die where the lay...to be honest ,I don't know what happens over here fully...apart from if they walked or was taken to any hospital ,they would be treated..
      March 2, 2020 3:02 PM MST

There have been occasions when some homeless person has died on the subway and wasn't discovered for hours.  They are usually so dirty and smelly that no one wants to go near them.  When the train gets to the end of the line, the conductor is supposed to walk through and that's when they're discovered.  Pretty sad when you think about it.
      March 3, 2020 2:25 PM MST

It's far easier they should realize to go from Riches to Rags then to other way around...one day that penny might just drop..:(
      March 3, 2020 2:43 PM MST

If you have money and don't have insurance you pay the bill.

If you are poor you have Medicaid.

If you are homeless you go to an emergency room for treatment.

It's all good.  No one has to wait months to see a doctor.
      March 2, 2020 6:20 PM MST

In most states.  In some such as Missouri will not cover adult who is not disabled/over 65 or have disabled child. 
      March 2, 2020 7:07 PM MST