Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Are 'Deplorables' Becoming Resistant to Liberal Labeling?

Are 'Deplorables' Becoming Resistant to Liberal Labeling?

Is there a point of diminishing returns when it comes to othering the opposition?

Posted - September 23, 2016

Responses

Most of us got used being called names by the left along time ago.

September 23, 2016 12:53 PM MDT

Yep.  That's the thing about calling people names: sooner or later the epithets lose their punch.  It's gotten to the point where the word 'racist' is almost meaningless.

Morgan Freeman of Through the Wormhole fame did an excellent teletreatise on this with his special on what makes terrorism.  If you attack people long enough, they respond to the 'evolutionary pressure' of the conflict by getting stronger and more brutal.  I think some elements of that same idea apply here.  Attempts at vilifying/dehumanizing the opposition only work for as long as the victims of such abuse care about the opinions of the perpetrators.  Once they cease caring, the effectiveness of such labeling disappears.

September 23, 2016 1:05 PM MDT

If you have a solution for Special Kind of Stupid, I'd love to hear it.

Otherwise, you are simply defending it because pointing it out hurts the practitioner's feelings and makes them defensive. Such a justification could be applied to any irrational behavior by any person for any reason (e.g. It hurts a 5-year-old's feelings that he can't subsist on a diet of cake and ice cream).

And, I note that you do not raise similar objections about the labeling done by the political right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4-vEwD_7Hk

But then recognizing your own f***ing hypocrisy was never your strong suit...;-D..

September 23, 2016 1:12 PM MDT

Hillary probably figured that if it worked for Trum it would work for her.

Unfortunately, it didn't.

The media treats Trump's words as if they are the only ones that matter. She said, "Deplorable" and no one cared. Trump said "deplorable" and all hell broke loose.

It is about the games the media plays.
      September 23, 2016 2:04 PM MDT

1) If I did, liberalism would cease to exist.  :-)

1)  You don't understand, SKOS.  I want you and your political affiliates to continue dehumanizing those with whom you disagree.  Sooner or later they will be completely desensitized and your feeble attempts will become irrelevant.

3) Be it the left or the right,  II don't care who does it!  This is an insanely ineffective strategy!

4) LOL! What hypocrisy do you imagine, munchkin?  And poke your lip out when you get all upset like that.

September 23, 2016 2:24 PM MDT

For the  most part they thrive on the label, even to the point of making a "Les Deplorables" theme to Trump rallies. "Deplorables" backfired hard on Hillary.

September 23, 2016 2:27 PM MDT

"Hillary probably figured that if it worked for Trum it would work for her.  Unfortunately, it didn't."

Really?  I don't recal Trump ever having attacked Clinton's voter base.

"The media treats Trump's words as if they are the" only ones that matter. She said, "Deplorable" and no one cared. Trump said "deplorable" and all hell broke loose."

Trump knows how to play the media against itself. Hillary does not.  It's not Trump's fault that Hillary doesn't know how to do this after some fifty years in politics.  That's all the more true when one considers that Hillary (and the Clintons in general) Is the darling of the media.

September 23, 2016 2:31 PM MDT

I know right!?  The revenue generated from the Deplorables comment alone has to be considerable.  Too bad it won't all go to "right wing" lobby organizations.  If I were selling Deplorables T-shirts, I'd like to think I'd give all the profits away to the NRA in Hillary's name!!

September 23, 2016 2:36 PM MDT