Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why would Senators try to use Coronavirus stimulus bill to increase immigration visas?

Why would Senators try to use Coronavirus stimulus bill to increase immigration visas?

Trying to increase EB-5 investor visas...

Another of example of "never let a good crisis go to waste"?

Posted - March 18, 2020

Responses

ANY bill is a chance for them to try to push past their own agendas.  The more urgent the bill, the better chance they'll get their rider through without much questioning.  Just goes to show where their real motives lie.
      March 18, 2020 5:12 PM MDT

It’s called “piggybacking”. 

Not coincidentally, such legislation is often called “pork”.  

The analogies to swine are well made.

March 18, 2020 7:17 PM MDT

They are the reason we need line item veto. 
      March 18, 2020 7:27 PM MDT

I don't agree with that, but I do think presidents should not sign them.
      March 18, 2020 9:09 PM MDT

I think we should have it and it should go back to Congress as a veto. They can try to override the veto if not enough then.... Vote on it again as a whole without the line item...perhaps it would not pass at all. 
    Puts the pressure back on Congress to stand up for what they are voting for and not hide things in "must pass" bills. 
      March 19, 2020 6:23 AM MDT

Beats me.
    For the last three weeks, Australia has been progressively refusing entry to people travelling from hotspots.
    People from countries deemed not at high risk were requested to self quarantine for 2 weeks if they had symptoms, except for going to a doctor or pop-up clinic for testing.
    On Monday, it upped; Australians returning from overseas were asked to isolate for a fortnight irrespective of whether or not they had symptoms.
    Lots of other measures have also been put it place - and are expanding everyday.

Yesterday, we closed our borders - no one allowed in or out, no exceptions.
      March 18, 2020 8:01 PM MDT

That makes sense to me. They are preventing farther entry of possible infected people. 

Our Congress after closing both borders and issuing travel bans (all preventing possible infected people from entry)  they are trying INCREASE a amount visa (allowing more possible infected people)  This is an investors visa....most of the time used by rich Chinese (where the infection came from)...

If they want to do that they should vote on it in the open like any other issue. 
      March 19, 2020 6:29 AM MDT