Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Music » Does Lauryn Hill (a fine singer) realize her rendition comes nowhere near Roberta Flack's flawless perfection?

Does Lauryn Hill (a fine singer) realize her rendition comes nowhere near Roberta Flack's flawless perfection?

Probably not - - radio stations certainly disagree with me - - I never hear Flack 's version, only Hill's

:)

(and, yes, I know there is no way to know the answer to my question other than asking Hill herself, ha)

"Killing Me Softly (with his Song)"

Posted - March 22, 2020

Responses

I also never heard Flack's version.  After listening, I prefer Hill's version.  

Could be that I am more familiar with Hill. But it does not matter. We all like different things. 
      March 22, 2020 6:19 PM MDT

That's cool. :)  But I know that I am still right and you're wrong, ha! :) Just kidding!

For a while, I had "heard" in my posted question instead of "hear" -- I like the song itself so well that I'd probably like anyone singing it. But Flack owns the song for me. She is the one I first heard sing it. And she owns the song for me.

I do like how Hill puts her own twist on it a bit but, loving Flack's version so much, Hill doesn't do it for me.

Thanks for answering my Blatant Flack-Plug of a Question. :)
      March 22, 2020 6:26 PM MDT

I don't like this song.  Ever since I watched the movie About A Boy I have not listened to it.  

March 22, 2020 9:48 PM MDT

Oh, my  -- I don't know of this movie at all. Never heard of it. After being blown away by "Beach Music," I trust your input on movies and books. I don't think I am going to watch this clip or movie. I don't want to have the song potentially ruined for me.
    I love the song.

Thanks, though, for answering! 
      March 23, 2020 12:08 PM MDT

You should watch it, WQ.  It's funny and sad and silly and serious; very well balanced for a rather light film.  I'm one of those odd people who like Hugh Grant.   I never liked the song and just have not heard it since the movie.  This film was on Netflix, don't know if still is.   
      March 23, 2020 6:44 PM MDT

That makes me feel better. Cool. Maybe I will watch it! For some reason, i was thinking it was a really upsetting movie or something. I like Grant, too. That makes you and me The Odd Couple, I guess. :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at March 24, 2020 12:08 PM MDT
      March 23, 2020 7:16 PM MDT

I saw Roberta Flack in concert with Peabo Bryson in a concert hall, not a coliseum, with full orchestra.  It was wonderful.  
      March 23, 2020 7:16 PM MDT

Oh, wow -- I would've liked that concert, too, I bet. :)
      March 23, 2020 7:17 PM MDT

I prefer the original as well. 
      March 23, 2020 5:29 AM MDT

Ca-CHING!

Thanks for answering! :)
      March 23, 2020 12:09 PM MDT

You‘re welcome :) 
      March 23, 2020 2:31 PM MDT

Me too Jaimie!!  By a Long Shot!!
    SHOTS!!!
    ;) ;)!
      March 23, 2020 1:37 PM MDT

Lots of time for shots now :) Hope you’re staying safe over there. 
      March 23, 2020 2:32 PM MDT

It goes to show priorities.  
    Some bought toilet paper.
    On the flip side,
    You gotta start at the top to have it come out the bottom!
    I stocked up...

Just another way of thinking... 
    SHOTS!!!!!!

March 24, 2020 12:03 PM MDT

Thank you Jaimie.
    The same to you.
    Healthy Thoughts and Happy Vibes!
    Let's drink on it!
    SHOTS!!
    Winks and Smiles
    ;) ;)
      March 24, 2020 12:06 PM MDT

I agreee with youuu so heartedly that I Turn the station as soon as I hear the bazokka come on.
     I am not sorry.
    I don't know who did it but I CANNOT stand the fact.
    Someone to take this song, of all songs, and do that to it.
    In my opinion, this song should have have had a "DO NOT DISTURB or F**** WITH" sign on the gooves it was recorded.

No one should have the right to change THIS song... especially with a bazooka or whatever they bastardized it with. 
    NOT ALLOWED.
    I am Hot under the Collar every time it comes on the radio.
    It is really sad, too because this is one of my favorite songs and to feel anger when I used to feel love and memory has violated it for me.
    I haven't been able to listen to the first cooing words without waiting for that bazoka. 
    I used to listen to those words and relax and melt into memory.

I know I've only been back for about an hour but I feel extremely strong about this.
    I do not appreciate or like them even screwing with this song one little bit.

To answer your question, Welby, I love the orginal.  I can NOT stand what they did to a song that means many things to people who are still alive.
    Show some respect.  There are memories for many attached to this Original song.
    Thank you.  the end.

This post was edited by Merlin at March 24, 2020 1:03 PM MDT
      March 23, 2020 1:32 PM MDT

I've enjoyed all of the answers and posts to my question but I had to give you a Pick --  I LOVE your spirit! And I'm with you all the way! Ha!
    Hearing this song for the first time as a youngster, Flack and the song impacted me hugely, in all of the best ways. 

And then hearing that "bazooka"- - love that way of putting it. I'm maybe assuming that, for you,too, as with me, the beginning of that other version "almost" sounds like Flack's version (to me, Hill sings it very much in Flack's style) - - but then the goofy over-the-top rhythm bazooka intrudes - - and, yup -- I change the station, too! :)
    Like I said elsewhere, Flack owns this song for me!!
      March 23, 2020 4:22 PM MDT

Good Morning and thanks for the morning smile! :) :)

I'm so glad we hear and feel the same about the remake of this beautiful song.
    I did babble about how strongly I feel but it IS important to you and me!
    There are some remakes that I can tollerate.  Unfortantely, I cannot think of one at the moment.  This is not a big surprise since none of them have enough strength and validity for me remembering them but still, they are O.K. for the novice listener.

Maybe that is the only version they hear and grow up with it.  I pity them.

The only person I can think of that writes songs beautifully but should have stuck to writing them and not singing them is Bob Dylan.
    He has written some of the most beautiful, inspiring, depressing, real, lifetime feeling, songs every sung....
    by others. 
    He isn't much of a singer but a fabulous writer in both music and word.
    Back on the subject, thank you for agreeing with me.  You are the best when it comes to music... new and old.
    Thank you also for my AP and your response.  You know how both are so important to me.
    Hugs and to quote you, "Be Well," Always!
    Hugs and Loves! :) :)
      March 24, 2020 11:30 AM MDT

And I enjoy reading this, too!
     And I officially remembered finally to "like" your answer, along with the Pick, ha!

There are a couple of remakes that I like along with originals. I hope to remember to come back and share them. Of interest to our conversation here - - one remake in particular - - for forever, until just this past month, I thought the song I enjoyed so much over the years WAS the original. Ha!
    Just in the last month I heard the original! Ha! And I LOVE the original, too - - perhaps even more!
      March 24, 2020 1:12 PM MDT

I know about going back and "liking" responses.  Sometimes I get into the converstation forget entirely and weeks go by.
    You make me smile and thank you for being you!
    :) :)
      March 24, 2020 1:20 PM MDT

You're more than welcome!
    Same back at 'cha!
      March 24, 2020 1:30 PM MDT

related to my other comment to you -- here is the song I was talking about --

I love Bananarama in general and have always loved their "He Was Really Saying Something."   - - and I hope the music video posts for me - - I love their fun videos! These three women in their videos always look like they're just out to have fun! :)
    Never, ever, did I know it was a remake.
    And then, by chance in the last month, I heard the Velvelettes. I assume they are the original - - and they knock my socks off, too!

If you get a chance to listen, I hope you enjoy both!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at March 24, 2020 1:34 PM MDT
      March 24, 2020 1:18 PM MDT

OMG!  I love the song and yes... I like both, too!  The remake by Bananarama was in the 80s, yes?
    I'm guessing by their hair and style.
    It is cool to see how we have changed with time and quickly, too.
    At least the Bananarama gals kept the exact same idea and tone and didn't throw in a bazooka!!
    Big Giggles!
    :) :)
      March 24, 2020 1:37 PM MDT

Agreed on all counts!!

Yeah, Bananarama's cover is in the 80's.

Glad you like both of them, too! :)

And, YEAH - -  Here's to no BAZOOKAs!!

Image result for bazooka gif

March 24, 2020 1:42 PM MDT