Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » If you keep track of what your cat is doing to any extent -what have you learned about cat behavior?

If you keep track of what your cat is doing to any extent -what have you learned about cat behavior?

Your cat in particular. 

Posted - March 24, 2020

Responses

I'm not so sure I have a cat. Let me explain ----- One day I came home and there was this cat sitting on the front porch. He saw me and ran right up and started rubbing against my legs.  I brought him in to the utility room and fed him. He seemed awful thin and ate an entire can of chicken noodle soup. (that was 2 years ago.)  He is basically an outdoor cat except on cold wintery nights. At times, he is not seen again for days at a time. He began to fatten up a lot, and he began coming from the direction of a neighbor's house. So I figured he spends about half of his time over there, so he is, perhaps, a shared cat.
      March 24, 2020 7:19 AM MDT

Cats are always interesting creatures. 
      March 24, 2020 7:24 AM MDT

She is predictable, believe it or not. When we get up she wants to go out. 15 minutes later she comes in for her tuna, then goes back out. She does this tree times, staying out for varying intervals depending on the weather. The she goes upstairs for a nap. Three hours later she will come down and start the process over.
      March 24, 2020 10:14 AM MDT

My 2 cats have "penned" The Cat Book', and I, their servant, am required to comply with it.

Everyday at precisely 7 am, my small cat will uncurl himself from around me and go through the entire house yelling loudly (I'm hungry.  I'm cold.  Turn on the heater).  This wakes up my old, large, heavily arthritic cat.  The same arthritic cat I have to hand feed and boost up on stairs so he can get on chairs and such, now races around the house trying to attack the smaller one.  The smaller one, however, goes back to bed (atop me).  So the larger cat howls.  Once I get up, they start "fishing".  This means that they will sit in front of the heaters or on my bed and scream "fish".  (nowadays "fish" is a small amount of wet cat food with medication in it - heated, and served in a small soup dish)

Everytime I use the "meow-crowave", my small cat will emerge from hs deep slumber, groggily mount a kitchen chair and scream "fish".

My large cat learned how to say "chicken" earlier this year (yes, a 2-syllable word).

My large (black) cat is extremely vain.  He thinks he's a panther.  If he gets aggressive or stubborn, I only have to tell him how handsome he is and he'll straighten right up.  (handsome panthers don't attack their brothers.  Handsome panthers don't bite.  Handsome panthers don't shred furniture).  

My small cat is an engineer.  I cant always clean the litter box each day, so he "arranges' it.  He neatly sorts it all by shape, size and whether or  its  #1 or #2.  Starting at the back, he'll layer it in precise lines bottom to top, left to right (his and his "brother's").  No wonder the ancient Egyptians worshiped cats.  It was probably cats who showed them how to make the pyramids.

My cats try to outwit each other.  When the wall heater comes on, the cats go to work.  The older "alpha" cat (or as he calls himself the "CEO" cat) gets first crack at the heater (it's in the Cat Book).  So he positions himself precisely 6 inches away from it in picturesque statue mode.  Te smaller cat slowly sneaks in from the side and weasels himself right up next to the heater and stretches himself  out - thus absorbing all the heat.  The big cat consides things for a moment, then shrugs saying he really didn't want the heater anyway.  He them goes to the other side of the room and pretends  to find a bug.  Coyly eying his smaller "brother", he plays with this "bug", making sure to keep it behind him so his brother cant see it.  His brother, of course, wants to see too, but as he's coming over, the big cat rushes over to the heater and spreads himself out in front of it.  Winner take all (it's in the Cat book).

March 24, 2020 10:39 AM MDT

That's pretty good! 
      March 24, 2020 3:32 PM MDT

My cats are weird (and my dog agrees with me)
      March 24, 2020 3:55 PM MDT