Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » I have a recurring appointment at the local blood bank, I’m a long-time donor (almost 20 years now). Usually, blood banks have to scramble

I have a recurring appointment at the local blood bank, I’m a long-time donor (almost 20 years now). Usually, blood banks have to scramble

to get people in there to donate, but when a national emergency takes place, people who otherwise never go to the blood bank flock in from everywhere to donate. This pandemic is no exception. Mass shootings, natural disasters, man/made disasters, etc., are the kinds of events that bring people out to volunteer. Some people want to help out in any way they can, and donating blood is a useful and helpful way to do it. Not everyone is eligible to donate, and the blood banks list the requirements.

I called yesterday to confirm my appointment time before going in, and due to a change in my plans, I asked if I could go on 30 minutes later than scheduled. I was actually turned away because they are swamped with so many people that they have to stagger appointment times. Maintaining social distancing is a contributing factor too, so even though I’m a regular, they couldn’t book me 30 minutes later and had me reschedule for an entirely different day.

Lastly, I found out yesterday that COVID19 is not a reason to avoid blood banks; it’s actually been a catalyst for increased donations.  Blood is always needed in hospitals and clinics, and is quite often in short supply. 

If you are able to, will you go to your local blood bank and donate?
~

Posted - April 1, 2020

Responses

I used to be able to donate blood, but since I'm on a blood thinner now, I can't.  I don't know if that means I can't donate platelets.  I should find out.
      April 1, 2020 10:33 AM MDT