Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » How do I save my questions, friends list, and inbox messages to prepare for the new AM website?

How do I save my questions, friends list, and inbox messages to prepare for the new AM website?

Posted - September 25, 2016

Responses

Copy your friends' usernames to a text file on your desktop.  From what I've heard your in-box shouldn't be affected.  I've no idea about your questions. Maybe you could start another text file with links.

In any case, when/if the update 'happens' I'm sure we all will receive instructions on how to smooth the transition.

September 25, 2016 2:57 PM MDT

• Thank you, Nimitz. Done.

September 25, 2016 3:23 PM MDT

The best way you can.    I cut and pasted mine to a word document

September 25, 2016 3:25 PM MDT

• That's what I've done. 

You're not in my list at present, but after Tuesday I'll send you a request.

September 25, 2016 3:47 PM MDT

Your questions will transfer. The only thing I'm certain will not transfer are your friend list and password, so you'll have to create a new one.

It is my understanding that your personal messages will transfer as well, but I have always been wary of tech. I keep backups of my backups of my backups and hide them in different places. lol So, I have no reason to think your messages will not transfer, but for my peace of mind,I don't want anyone to risk losing anything important, which is why I've asked everyone to jot down phone numbers and save pictures and other important things if they don't have them elsewhere. As the others have said, it's just a matter of copy/pasting it into Word and saving a copy on your PC.

Personally, for me, I'm not doing anything special. I friended everyone who accepted me, and I'll do the same after the update. I'm not storing copies of anything from my "private collection" lol Obviously, site data is another matter, but for my personal "Just Asking" account, I'm not doing a darn thing. I'll just log in as soon as the site is up and resume business as usual.  

September 25, 2016 4:02 PM MDT

• , JA

September 25, 2016 4:15 PM MDT

I think it would be more fun to start over.

September 25, 2016 5:24 PM MDT

•   September 25, 2016 5:29 PM MDT

i couldnt seem to figure out how to do it either so i just bookmarked them

September 25, 2016 5:43 PM MDT

•   September 25, 2016 8:09 PM MDT

It is easy to screenshot your friends list, though it may take more than one.  Any PMs I did not want to lose I juat "printed"...which is basically making a screenshot of the entire convo in PDF format.  

September 25, 2016 8:25 PM MDT

September 25, 2016 8:26 PM MDT

Bookmarking isn't going to help. There won't be a list on that page after the refresh. That's why I'm suggesting you make a copy.

September 25, 2016 8:33 PM MDT

Good deal. :)

September 26, 2016 3:55 AM MDT