Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » What is a business or a type of business that you’re surprised is NOT closed down due to the Corona Virus? ~

What is a business or a type of business that you’re surprised is NOT closed down due to the Corona Virus? ~

Posted - April 7, 2020

Responses

Liquor stores have not been closed down.  Not sure that I would consider them essential businesses.
      April 7, 2020 10:26 AM MDT

In this city it is essential.
      April 7, 2020 11:41 AM MDT

Maybe. :)
      April 7, 2020 12:20 PM MDT

Construction work is considered essential work in my town.   
      April 7, 2020 12:03 PM MDT

You are surprised at that?
    ~
      April 7, 2020 12:05 PM MDT

New construction is essential?  Yes I was surprised by it.   A neccessary repair...yes. Essential.   But a new pretty fence with pillars at the college...no, not essential. 
    Or new remodel of old building for new business....that will not be allowed to open. 
      April 7, 2020 12:18 PM MDT

That makes sense. Thank you for clarifying. 
    ~
      April 7, 2020 12:21 PM MDT

One of the big things here was hair and nail salons. People freaked out that the governor allowed them to stay open, so he changed his order recently. I see both sides of that. A lot of the time, it is vanity or wanting to look good, but there are also people who can't perform these services for themselves (elderly, disabled, etc.) and so closing them down can be detrimental to health.

I could be wrong because things are changing fast, but last I heard, "outdoor recreation areas" got a pass on closure too. That means our golf courses can still be open. I feel like that was more intended to allow people to keep using the trails (Arizona has amazing hiking trails all over the place) but due to the language of the order, it allowed more than that. 
      April 8, 2020 9:18 PM MDT

Think about how much human-to-human physical contact is involved in the everyday business of hair salons and nail salons. In this pandemic situation, I can’t understand how or why places like that would be allowed to remain open. My wife is a hairdresser, she has been at it for about 20 years. Her workplace has been shuttered for almost 3 weeks, the parks, golf courses, piers and beaches almost a week and a half. Those are just a small sample of closures in this area. As far as vanity is concerned, sure, people need things that lift their spirits, the threat of COVID makes that potentially dangerous. 

~
      April 8, 2020 11:31 PM MDT

I'm not saying they should have stayed open for the vanity cases. I think most should have probably closed. My concern was for the people who can't complete these tasks for themselves. One example might be someone with severe arthritis who can't use nail clippers. Without proper manicuring, it could be impossible for them to keep clean. They may catch them on things, tear their skin, develop infections, etc. Someone like me- I shouldn't be going to a salon. Someone like that who can't take care of their own issues... there probably should be something out there for them still.  
      April 9, 2020 9:10 AM MDT