Discussion » Questions » Environment » Is the California drought (finally) over? We’re getting more rain now than those past two years when they said it was over before.

Is the California drought (finally) over? We’re getting more rain now than those past two years when they said it was over before.

Rain in the middle of April in California?  And heavy rain at that?  Usually, there’s no rain after January. This year, February, March, April. The reservoir near my house is practically back to its 1990s water levels. I believe we have probably made it through, and California might be green again. 

Posted - April 10, 2020

Responses

Uh... no.  In fact, according to current data, we're heading into a drought, (https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/)

What some people seen to forget is that California relies heavily on its snowpack (they're what feeds most reservoirs).  No snow up here, no water down there.  California also relies on groundwater for much of it's irrigation (farmers).  It takes a lot more than a few heavy showers to raise the water table.
    Here at my station we currently sit at 59% of average precipitation for the 2019/2020 fiscal year (ends on June 30), and 33% for the standard year (jan-dec)... and April is the end of the rainy season.  The snowpack is around 70% of normal - enough to keep most reservoirs working through the 2020 summer months.  If we have a very hot summer, reservoir levels will go down faster than normal (so will a heavy fire season).

Enjoy your greenery while you can, as it'll be golden brown by May (and possibly charred black by November).
      April 10, 2020 10:01 AM MDT

(its irrigation)

No apostrophe. 
      April 11, 2020 12:41 AM MDT

I sit corrected.
      April 11, 2020 9:31 AM MDT

• Southern California does not appear to be in drought conditions. They are receiving average to above-average rain. 

Northern California is in a mild drought and rain levels have been below-average here. We received not a drop of rain in February this year and little in January. March and April have been normal so far. 

The snowpack is at 70% as Shuhak said. Which is not great, considering it was over 150% last year. But the two average out to a good amount of water in the reservoirs. 

Never sure what this will mean for wildfires. 2019 had a very mild wildfire season, but 2017 and 2018 were the two worst in California history. Guess we will see how that goes. 
      April 10, 2020 10:39 AM MDT