Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Are all solid planets roundish like balls or is there any out there that we know of flat or hugely misshapen ?

Are all solid planets roundish like balls or is there any out there that we know of flat or hugely misshapen ?

Posted - April 12, 2020

Responses

The planets and stars tend to appear to be ' roundish.' All these orbs were created from within, and vocanic type action (plus other factors) contributed in the creation. I am curious about what is actually going on in there. It sure is hot. Atomic fusion they say. I think there is much more to it. If we knew, we would certainly know more about creation. The Russians tried to find out by drilling deep into the earth, but they only got so far down before their equipment failed. Something amazing is going on down there ----------- including the creation of metals and energy. Perhaps the secret of the creation of the universe is down there?
      April 12, 2020 8:26 AM MDT

I think they got down between seven and eight miles deep....the heat at that depth is almost off the scales....
    The diamond mines in Africa are so deep that it's almost unbearable to work down there..
      April 12, 2020 10:03 AM MDT

It seems planets and planetoids in established orbital systems will evolve into more or less spherical bodies, even if they probably started off far more amorphous and shapeless. Even our little moon, which some astronomers accept was perhaps torn from our own planet by the close pass of a large astronomical body, has become spherical. This is my own take on it.     
      April 12, 2020 10:02 AM MDT

Such fascinating subjects that we will never know the answers to most like in our life span...
      April 12, 2020 10:05 AM MDT

I guess we can sit back and watch the movie;' Journey to the Center of the Earth.' Personally, I'd rather listen to 'Journey to the Center of the Mind' by the Amboy Dukes featuring Ted Nugent.

\
      April 12, 2020 10:14 AM MDT

I don't think I've ever heard of it.....another strange factor to consider is about how things that was once just sicence fiction is now actually possible and now far more advanced than ever......and that's just what is handed down to the public sectors...
      April 12, 2020 11:01 AM MDT

is are there any out there
      April 12, 2020 10:06 AM MDT

God knows....the possibilities are endless...  Have you ever looked up how big the known planet is..  It's so big it would take years to fly around in a plane 
      April 12, 2020 11:09 AM MDT

Planets and stars form as slightly-flattened spheres, from accreting material; not from within themselves, which would require material to be produced from nothing! 

Asteroids tend to be irregular lumps, but they are more or less just huge boulders; possibly torn from planets or by a planet disintegrating under the pull of a huge neighbour to which it was drawn. I don't know why the Moon is spherical, unless it was torn from the Earth while that was still in its molten embryonic form, but the equivalents around other planets are spherical too.

The Earth's internal heat is due to decay of radioactive isotopes. The Earth is an iron and nickel Core surrounded by molten but extremely viscous rock, the Mantle, topped by the relatively thin, solid Crusts (oceanic and continental).  
      April 16, 2020 3:00 PM MDT