Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Why has my cat suddenly taken to meowing at his water dish?

Why has my cat suddenly taken to meowing at his water dish?

I have a 19-year-old cat. He's one-of-a-kind. Even people who don't like cats like this guy- we've joked in the past that he never learned how to be a cat because he grew up with a dog. He's very warm and affectionate and has always been talkative. He's also good at letting people know what he wants. i.e. I used to feed him on top of the refrigerator to keep the dog out of it. He'd go up to the top and bat people on the head as they walked by if he was hungry. He'll meow by his food dish at the floor if he wants to eat now. 

A week ago, he developed an abscess and half his face swelled up. The vet couldn't tell if it was a tooth or some kind of external wound that caused it, but ended up doing a pretty major surgery on him- opening and draining the abscess, then pulling a couple teeth that could have caused it. The cat's surprisingly doing amazing. He came home and wanted food right away. He gets mad at me when I force his antibiotics and pain meds on him, but is otherwise behaving like himself. At present, he's got multiple stitches across the side of his face (will likely be removed in another week or so) and a drainage tube (will likely be removed this week). So, it is serious business. 

The thing I can't figure out is that, starting almost as soon as he got home, he took to meowing at his water dish. I thought maybe it wasn't fresh enough for him- he previously liked to drink straight from the tap when I'd let him. I scrubbed the dish and replaced the water. No change. My daughter thought maybe he wanted "better" water, so I gave him chilled filtered water in a different dish. No change. 

He's eating on the floor (has a good appetite and now demands to be fed 4+ times per day, which I let him get away with for now because he's super thin), and he will eventually drink the water, but it's the same thing each time. He goes up to it, meows at it (a very sad meow) and then eventually drinks. 

I've tried swapping the dishes just in case he's weird about the potential of bumping his face. I've really tried everything I can think of to help the poor guy. I know he wants something different but I have no clue what it might be. 

Any ideas, Muggers?

Posted - April 12, 2020

Responses

Maybe he has a little problem
    with his tongue when drinking.
    Or due to the teeth being pulled
    something hurts in the process of drinking.
    Don't they kinda warm up the mouth before
    drinking?
      April 12, 2020 7:25 PM MDT

Maybe that's it. I didn't try warming the water. O_o I will try that next.
      April 14, 2020 11:07 PM MDT

Oh come on. The poor thing has to meow at something, doesn't he?
      April 12, 2020 7:27 PM MDT

He only talks when he wants to communicate something. 
      April 14, 2020 11:07 PM MDT

It’s code, and it’s meant to protect you. Its translation is: STOP DRINKING COFFEE, HUMANS. 

(I’ve tried to warn you for years, you’ve never listened. Your cat knows you and loves you, perhaps you’ll finally pay attention, get the help that you need so badly, and once and for all break the cruel addiction that has gripped you for far too long.)
    ~
      April 12, 2020 11:41 PM MDT

Pretty sure that's not it. lol "A" for effort though.
      April 14, 2020 11:09 PM MDT

Ok, fine, continue to ignore my warnings.  You'll be at the emergency room getting your stomach pumped out or in the intensive care unit strapped up to all kinds of machines, all the while angrily chastising yourself, "Randall was right!  Why didn't I listen to him, why didn't I?  Everyone knows he was just looking to protect me, everyone knows how smart he is!  Why oh why was I so stubborn?"

Perfectly avoidable, that's all I'm saying.

:(
      April 14, 2020 11:26 PM MDT

The cat is telling you "gimme something delicious please. I'm only here for a short while, why are you so mean with the chicken, prawns, steak, pork? let me taste something beautiful before I die. So what if i put on weight? I'd be happy. Give me something delicious in my dish. if I cant chew it, mash it up, liquidise it. something beautiful so I can be satisfied."
      April 13, 2020 5:42 AM MDT

That's not it either. lol He gets whatever he wants to eat right now and knows where I keep things. If he wants food, he goes to his food dish or where I keep the food and meows. Or, he'll jump up to wherever I'm eating and try to steal it himself. 
      April 14, 2020 11:11 PM MDT

Meh, that’s no big deal whatsoever. When your cat starts mooing at his dish, that’s when you should worry. 

~
      April 15, 2020 7:07 AM MDT