Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » I wonder how many relationships will be strengthened and how many will be broken in this current crisis?

I wonder how many relationships will be strengthened and how many will be broken in this current crisis?

With so many people trapped with spouses, irksome kids, and/or violent partners - surely there will be some who will face the break up of their relationship? Equally, I wonder whether for some it will mean a deepening of the connection, renewed admiration and fondness, a rare chance to spend more time together? 

What say you? 

Posted - April 16, 2020

Responses

A high percentage of the police calls here are for domestic violence, but there is no way to answer your question as most of us are isolated from others. My wife and I get along fine.
      April 16, 2020 11:46 AM MDT

They were saying on tv that there's an increase in the number of fatalities in terms of domestic violence. I think that's where I started in this line of thinking, I know that some people will be horribly adversely affected by being stuck with families and situations that are less than idyllic.  It seems I was right to worry! But going along that train of thought... even those who don't actually resort to violence, may still suffer as there might well be more arguments more disagreements.. etc.. 
      April 16, 2020 2:01 PM MDT

I agree. I have discussed this with my wife when this all started...she agrees. (A rarity.)
      April 16, 2020 3:54 PM MDT

It depends on how they approach it. 

It's hard to go from seeing your spouse 8-12 hours a day to having them underfoot 24/7.  That’s reserved for retirement (oh, it’s coming).  Having to deal with rambunctious kids AND a bored/overworked spouse, PLUS all the anxiety that stems from what's happening (virus, economy, food, misinformation) 24/7… that’s a recipe for disaster!

Being trapped with any person for an extended period of time is hard, as we all like – need - to have our "space". (Road trip diary day 2 - "if those kids don't stop asking if we're there yet, I swear I'm going to leave them at the next rest stop!”).  Having your "space" be the guest bathroom doesn't quite cut it.  It's more like a neutral corner; and when the "bell" goes off, you're coming out swinging!  

Remember that "for better or worse" vow you took (or should I say parroted back)?  Well, this is that "worst" time.   The time where your relationship (and nerves) will be stretched thinner than that 1-ply roll of toilet paper you’ve been rationing out to the family (the good 2-ply is hidden on the top shelf of the closet.  It’s only for you to use in your “space”). 

To avoid another Alamo, couples must change their habits during their time in captivity.  They must learn to put the other person first.  They must learn to bite their tongue when they find the toilet seat up (at 3 am... in the dark).  They must learn to smile and be thankful for their partner (even when they find their partners secret stash of 2-ply toilet paper.  Each must allow the other to have time by themselves - even when the youngest kid flushed their entire set of Lego’s down the main bathroom toilet and you have to go badly, but your partners having “space” in the only other bathroom in the house). 

Don’t forget the kids (like that’s possible, since they broke your noise-canceling headphones on day 1).  They too are feeling the pressure of captivity (hard to make a scene by storming out of the house when one can’t leave the house).   Do things with them – play games, let each of them choose an “appropriate” TV program to watch once or twice a week, teach them things (note: this is not a good time to teach them how to burp the alphabet).  But allow them their space as well, after all they’re not too keen on being stuck with their parents either).

April 16, 2020 12:44 PM MDT

Ha an excellent reply very observant of human nature and families! You write very well, you should be paid for it or at least be a famous blogger. Yes, I think you are right, this is going to cause a lot of stress and strained relationships but at the end of the day we are lucky to have family.. imagine being trapped at home all on our own for weeks on end! That would be toooooo much personal space!
      April 16, 2020 2:07 PM MDT

Depends on circumstances, culture and where one is.  In short I do think there will be an increase in separations or divorces among some groups, other groups will strengthen the bonds and in others there will be a kid on the way.

TP, some foods and condoms are in short supply here.  Wine is in decent supply.  So draw your own conclusions
      April 16, 2020 12:57 PM MDT

Ha ha love your answer! My local shop really annoyed me, I cannot get flour, and there's a shortage of milk and basics like butter.. There they were unloading a full delivery, which seemed to have only wine featuring! Why on earth are they ordering more wine I thought, why don't they order more of the essentials instead? Now I know!!
      April 16, 2020 1:57 PM MDT

No dining...just wining. Take advantage of it.
      April 16, 2020 3:56 PM MDT

Wining or whining?
      April 16, 2020 3:57 PM MDT

When you wine, you don't whine.

April 16, 2020 4:02 PM MDT