Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ever hear about the Channeled Scablands in Washington State? Saw a really nifty documentary about them. Didja happen to see it too?

Ever hear about the Channeled Scablands in Washington State? Saw a really nifty documentary about them. Didja happen to see it too?

Posted - April 30, 2020

Responses

I would not have seen the documentary but have read of them, and seen photographs, in a geology publication.

The authors used the Washington Scablands as a dry-land example of the similar channels that have been discovered under later sediments in the floor of the English Channel, which during the last Glaciation's much lower sea-level was a valley carrying a major river to the Atlantic.

The surveying that revealed these led to a new theory that they were formed as were the Scablands, by an ice-dam breach; but which in our case also cut the gorge that became the Straits of Dover.
      May 3, 2020 3:31 PM MDT

The landscape was other worldly in appearance Durdle. The moon maybe or someplace else far away and foreign. It was vast and geologists love exploring the area. Thank you for your reply. Very far apart places in the world have a lot in common appearance wise. I don't know why that should surprise me but it does. Happy Monday! :)
      May 4, 2020 2:25 AM MDT

I think it is one of the very few major exposures of that particular land-form. The English Channel version is buried in sand under a lot of sea-water - it was found by surveying with a special type of sonar that can penetrate the sand to find the solid ground below.

The natural sciences including geology have always interested me - and many of the things they study are spectacular and beautiful as well as scientifically fascinating. 
      May 5, 2020 3:52 PM MDT