Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What are things you personally have done to benefit the following:

What are things you personally have done to benefit the following:

A) your local community
B) your country
C) humanity/ the world

All answers encouraged.

Posted - May 3, 2020

Responses

Ha ha are you trying to make us all feel inadequate? Or make us all have inflated egos because we cook cookies for grannies every Thursday?

In terms of the community? I volunteer counselling cancer patients and also adolescents.. Country? Not a lot really, I am a fairly good person a fairly model citizen.. but that's about it really..  Ditto humanity, I can't make any claims on that front..  So overall, I am fairly proud that I do *something* but a bit inadequate on the country/humanity front!
      May 3, 2020 7:24 AM MDT

I can’t decide for other people how they feel about anything, and any perceptions of individual inadequacy rests with that person. This isn’t about judgment, it’s about recognizing good works; or at least trying to inspire some. 

You contribute in a positive way. That is what matters. Being a “good citizen” (however we define that) is a contribution with positive results, and in your example there are others whose lives are positively affected by your efforts. No inadequacy there, IMO.

Thanks for your thoughtful response, DDB. 

May 3, 2020 7:46 AM MDT

Well I was teasing about the inadequacy remark.. I imagine that faced with such a profound question one might examine oneself and our own contribution and find ourselves inadequate? We might also, I guessed, feel prouder of our contribution than we should.. 
      May 3, 2020 8:11 AM MDT

I think honest self-assessment is a valuable, if perishable, skill. My intent here is to engage it. Everyone can do good things, and most have, IMO. Let’s take a moment to feel good about what we do, in “these uncertain times”, and share them, no matter how small. 
      May 3, 2020 9:02 AM MDT

My community: I am an ardent advocate against litter and pollution. On my own time, and on my own dime, I conduct what I call my projects, wherein I will select a section of a local park or schoolgrounds, a stretch of roadway, a bus stop, a store’s parking lot, etc., and I spend an hour or two picking up litter. 

My country: I can or could cite numerous examples, I’ll name just these two.  I served my country by enl enlisting in the US Marine Corps. I consider it both a privilege and an honor to have been accepted and to be allowed the opportunity to represent my country. That brings up the second part; when I was overseas (I went to 14 different foreign countries during my 3 tours of duty), I was never “the ugly American”.   Through my personal behavior, I made sure to show people of other countries a good side of the American face, I never embarrassed us, I never caused anyone have a negative impression of us.

Humanity/the world: once again, two examples.  I have never created a victim or victims, I am law-abiding, the second part of which is that I raised my children with a similar mindset towards those means. I have bestowed upon the world another generation that has so far also been law-abiding. 

~
    This post was edited by Randy D at May 4, 2020 7:02 AM MDT
      May 3, 2020 10:45 AM MDT

We share having served our country in foreign lands, and I detect a similar zeal for the betterment of our environment. (Though I admittedly am an environment crusader) Commendable stuff.

I don’t think enough can be said, or has been said about the longterm social benefits of attentive parenting. We either pay it forward or we don’t. Children live what is modeled for them, if we fail at that, they suffer, their generation loses, and the future is that much more dire because poorly raised humans extend the world’s suffering.
    (putting the soapbox away)
    Thanks for your reply, Randy. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at May 4, 2020 7:03 AM MDT
      May 3, 2020 11:55 AM MDT

A- Mask wearing, social distancing (i guess that would also qualify for B+C, too)
    B- Working, taxpaying (also applicable for A)
    C- Having children, creating the next generation
      May 3, 2020 12:38 PM MDT

Simple yet effective.

I’d reply that having children is one thing, building them into forces for good for their generation is another. The former is, of course, little benefit without the latter. We owe it to them. 

May 3, 2020 3:12 PM MDT

Well said. We owe it to society/mankind also. 
    ~

May 3, 2020 3:15 PM MDT

A,B and C
    Yes
    I simply help people find
    the peace that we 
    have within ourselves.
    Teaching Meditation
    that will Enlighten any person
    that will look within themselves
    and experience that
    which is beyond our thoughts.