Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » I did quick bit of research correlating opiod addiction and COVID-19 deaths.

I did quick bit of research correlating opiod addiction and COVID-19 deaths.

It appears the region of the Ohio/West Virginia border up to Pennsylvania has the highest occurrence of opioids and one of the highest occurrences of COVID-19 deaths per capita. Odd?

Posted - May 19, 2020

Responses

Not really....who knows what damages over use of opioids over prelonged periods do to the human body....
      May 19, 2020 2:30 PM MDT

That area has an extremely high population of trump supporters.
      May 19, 2020 2:40 PM MDT

Maybe he passed on the dopey gene if he ever got that chance to have sex with someone willing...:( 
      May 19, 2020 2:52 PM MDT

Could be that they are not worried about social distancing while they are getting the drugs. 
      May 19, 2020 3:20 PM MDT

Dang...we agree on something. That was my point. They don't give a crap.
      May 19, 2020 7:16 PM MDT

Another interesting fact the abuse rate for opiods increases with age same as Covid-19. 

May 19, 2020 3:30 PM MDT

If you read the small print, these are prescription users.  With age, people have more ailments and conditions that involve pain, which is what opioids are used for.  If you are have chronic pain, it's very likely you'll become addicted to pain medications.  
      May 19, 2020 3:55 PM MDT

The ages are irrelevant in that region... they are the same as any demographic region. I forgot to add meth producers...same region. Perhaps we should just ingnore that area and let them all....get sick.
      May 19, 2020 7:22 PM MDT

Drugs are everywhere in every town. 
      May 19, 2020 8:52 PM MDT

The highest incidences of drug related deaths is in the Ohio River valley area from Kentucky to Pennsylvania.
      May 20, 2020 3:54 PM MDT

May 20, 2020 4:32 PM MDT

I was specifically talking about opioid deaths, not drug use. The map you posted also addresses marijuana, cocaine and methamphetamine. The map is also older than 2017, as the populations of the cities were higher in the 2018 list of city populations I used. We should also note that marjuana use is quite high as it is being legalized and in many cities possession of a small amount is only a misdemeanor. Its use rarely causes direct incidence of death. 
      May 20, 2020 5:33 PM MDT

May 20, 2020 6:23 PM MDT

Fascinating. 14/15 from southern redneck states.
      May 20, 2020 7:53 PM MDT

Interesting. 

~
      May 19, 2020 4:33 PM MDT

No. As you know, a good friend of mine is a recovering heroin addict. He smoked it. The damage done to his body is significant, particularly his heart and lungs. If he got COVID-19, he would die. I don't question that for one second.

I haven't seen the numbers there, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a correlation though. M2C made an interesting point with the age thing though. Maybe there are multiple risk factors for both that come together. 
      May 19, 2020 5:55 PM MDT

The anti-social distancing rednecks in that region don't care. trump is their god.
      May 19, 2020 7:24 PM MDT

Funny the dope heads I know are Dems....because it is the Dems who want to make the stuff legal. This post was edited by my2cents at May 20, 2020 3:47 PM MDT
      May 19, 2020 8:54 PM MDT

Not all Democrats are good, not all Democrats are bad. Not all Republicans are good, not all Republicans are bad. Political parties are made up of human beings, the very same human beings who are fallible and susceptible to the weaknesses of everyday life. Membership in any group or subgroup does not guarantee a person’s character, personality, education, intelligence, etc.  The sooner that we all as fellow humans stop trying to lionize our own tribes and demonizing our opponents’ tribes, we might find ways to coexist more peacefully and more effectively and more efficiently. 

You are not automatically good nor perfect based on not being a Democrat. 
    ~

May 19, 2020 11:32 PM MDT

I said 3 facts:

1....dopeheads I know = the people who I know who are drug users. 

2: they are Dems

3. Dems are the party that is supporting making the drugs legal.  (This is the reason they are Dems)

Where did I say good or bad? 
      May 20, 2020 6:45 AM MDT

Let’s not pretend that you wrote anything positive about or supportive of Democrats. You made a general statement about them, I made a general statement in response to it. I did not accuse you of using the word “bad”, but then again, I didn’t have to. If you truly believe you praised or applauded them in any way in your statement, show us how, please. 

You may or may not know that I am not a Democrat. I don’t think that automatically makes me better than every Democrat, nor does it make every one of them better than me. All too often, it’s become a “broad brush” mentality when dealing with or referring to each other. I stand by my response. 

Not all Democrats are good, not all Democrats are bad. Not all Republicans are good, not all Republicans are bad. Political parties are made up of human beings, the very same human beings who are fallible and susceptible to the weaknesses of everyday life. The sooner that we all as fellow humans stop trying to lionize our own tribes and demonizing our opponents’ tribes, we might find ways to coexist more peacefully and more effectively and more efficiently.
    ~
      May 20, 2020 7:31 AM MDT

I only stated a fact.

I said Dem party supports making drugs legal.  That is a fact. It is in their platform.   

Obviously, some people consider it a good policy.... as they are supporting it.   You decide if you feel that is good or bad or whatever.

Each party has a platform that they establish each election season.  The Dem party platform supports making drugs legal. This is why I can say the Dems (=Dem Party) supports legal drugs.  If an individual Dem disagrees maybe they should take that up with those in the party that vote on the party platform or evaluate another party's platform.   The Libertarian party also supports legalization of drugs.  But most people only bother with the 2 major parties. 

Yes, people are individuals.  I as a individual will not support a candidate that supports making drugs legal....I do consider that bad policy.  I do not care if the politician is a Rep....I will not vote for them if they support policy I do not agree with.   As I have stated many times....I vote on policy and if the candidate agrees with me on policies.  And if the Rep party put support for legalization of drugs in their platform...I will stay home. 

May 20, 2020 12:56 PM MDT

Trump isn't so overwhelmingly popular in Ohio. You're starting to sound like that corner lady.
      May 19, 2020 9:02 PM MDT

Not on its face.  But thanks for the thought-provoking post.................
      May 20, 2020 2:26 PM MDT