Active Now

Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Beauty » Does beauty come in one-size-only? Who decides the size and why?

Does beauty come in one-size-only? Who decides the size and why?

Posted - October 1, 2016

Responses

• If you're talking about professional fashion models in the West - they come in several sizes, all petite and long-limbed for the mainstream, plus the recent introduction of Rubenesque models to represent the clothing for plumper women.

But outside that limited commercial standard, beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, and real beauty is invisibly deep.
      October 1, 2016 10:30 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply hartfire and Happy Friday! :)
      November 25, 2016 2:47 AM MST

Beauty comes in all sizes.  

But in things like a beauty contest the people who own and operate the contest make the requirements.  And the winner must listen to the rules.
      October 1, 2016 11:19 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Friday to thee. Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful. :)
      November 25, 2016 2:47 AM MST

no, it comes in all sizes
      October 1, 2016 8:48 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply pearl and Happy Friday. Hope your Thanksgiving was a good one! :)
      November 25, 2016 2:48 AM MST

True beauty is internal. there is too much attention given to physical beauty which eventually fades with age. "charm may be false, and beauty may be fleeting, but the woman who fears Jehovah will be praised."  (proverbs 31:30)
      November 23, 2016 9:47 PM MST

I don't fear God or Jesus Autumn. Never have. Never will. As a  young child I was taught that "God is Love". At the age 79 I am not going to change that view. That's why I don't understand anyone who believes in God who fears Him. I will never understand that. Thank you for your reply! :)
      November 25, 2016 2:50 AM MST

Rosie, I am quoting from the Bible itself. when the bible speaks of fearing God it is referring to a healthy fear, a fear that is meant to protect you from harm. a fear of offending God's righteous standards. a healthy fear that will result in eternal blessings. it is not referring to a morbid fear of God or he will  punish you in a supposed burning hell as false religion has taught. eclesiástes 12:13 says: "the conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man."
      November 25, 2016 7:41 PM MST

• Standards can be strongly influenced by culture and fashion, but they can never completely change personal preferences.

There's the old saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    An Arabic version which I like better is, "he whom the heart loves best is ever the most beautiful."

There's nothing objective about beauty.
    Some like more salt, sour, sweet, bitter or umami in their food.
    The same applies to aesthetics in all the senses.
    So physical beauty is a matter of taste whether talking of humans, animals, plants, buildings, artifacts or landscapes.

November 24, 2016 3:55 PM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful  answer hartfire. Some folks look at a rose garden and focus on the weeds and thorns. Others see only the roses. I pity the former and relate to the latter! :)
      November 25, 2016 2:51 AM MST

Here are two different sizes:

November 25, 2016 7:55 PM MST

• Dear darlings! 
    I'd like to be right in there curled up with them.
      November 26, 2016 6:28 AM MST

@hartfire -- Alas, both Harley (the one on the left) and Nellie (the beagle) have passed on. But Harley would have definitely enjoyed cuddling with you (he liked everyone) and Nellie would have likewise once she got to know you.
      November 26, 2016 12:06 PM MST

• I'm pretty good at making friends with most dogs, even savage or timid ones.
    With the difficult ones, I don't look them in the eye.
    I lie down flat on my back in the belly-up submissive posture and make a whining sound like a puppy.
    This can cause a lot of laughter in public places.
    I usually end up getting my face licked and rolling around playing with a squirmy animal.
    And for me that's heaven.

Do you have a couple of new dogs yet?
      November 26, 2016 12:28 PM MST

@hartfire -- As I noted, Harley loved ***everyone***. To him, any person he didn't know was a friend to whom he hadn't been introduced.

Nellie was not so much timid as...um....self-absorbed. She would take her time to see if new people would treat her like Beagle the 1st ,Queen of All She Surveyed or not. If you did, she liked you just fine...;-D...

When my ex-wife and I divorced, I let her keep Harley and Nelli because it was the best overall solution for everyone. Since then, I have not been in a position to care for dogs again (except as a dogsitter for family/friends). This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at November 26, 2016 12:35 PM MST
      November 26, 2016 12:34 PM MST