Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Some folks believe Global Warming is a hoax. Believers rely on science/scientists for info/views. What do hoax believers rely on? Why?

Some folks believe Global Warming is a hoax. Believers rely on science/scientists for info/views. What do hoax believers rely on? Why?

Posted - October 2, 2016

Responses

Hello Rosie:

I dunno HOW you can BELIEVE your family doctor, and NOT believe in global warming... Science IS a thing, or it ISN'T.  They can't have it both ways.

excon
      October 2, 2016 6:19 AM MDT

Well ya see ya gotcher charlatans/pseudo scientists who purport to tell the "truth". Reminds me of those "doctors" who pitched the benefits of sugar for the Sugar Lobby and got paid very handsomely for it. The hoax believers who pass themselves off as scientists? Seriously folks. Seriously folks? Thank you for your reply excon. It is a hopeless task to attempt to  convince the hoaxists that they are deluded/duped/conned. Why? Because they like it that way..uh huh. Uh huh.  :(
      October 3, 2016 3:31 AM MDT

Well, there are scientists who tell us it ain't so. And we look at the arguments presented and decide which side sounds most like science. The trouble is that some people have a warped idea of what "science" is. They think it is anything handed down by some panel of people who claim to have authority.

Example: One group of scientists carefully study electrical charges. Another group of scientists declare that electrical charges have no effect in space, and they use Earth weather terms to describe activities in space. So the one group says the northern lights are powered by an electric current from the sun, same as a neon light, and the other group says that is not an electric current, it is solar wind. We ordinary people politely ask how in heck you can have a wind when molecules are a meter or so apart? The authorities answer "Shut up, moron." ("Moron" seems to be their favorite word.)

That is why you get news articles like THIS (opens in new window). This post was edited by Not Sure at October 3, 2016 5:38 AM MDT
      October 2, 2016 3:24 PM MDT

You caught my attention with
    "Well, there are scientists who tell us it ain't so."
    OK, what proportion of scientists don't believe in Global Warming?
    I had a quick look and this was the first site I checked. It does indeed support your claim.
    According to NASA, it seems that less than 3% say "It ain't so."
    Suggested reading:
    Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals1 show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree ...
    climate nasa gov/scientific-consensus/

October 3, 2016 12:45 PM MDT

This argument has been going on for about forty years. The one side wants to be sure, the other side lobbies for new taxes so everybody has to at least pretend to agree with their side, at gunpoint. That is what passes for science these days.
      October 3, 2016 1:01 PM MDT

Please tell me you are NOT seriously suggesting that 97% of scientists were forced into agreement about Global Warming “at gunpoint”!

OK, so the argument may have gone on for 40 years. So what does that prove? Many things have changed in the 40 years, including methods to detect weather patterns, rising sea levels, etc etc.

BTW, what is your view on rising sea levels? Real, or are climatologists also forced to agree at gunpoint?

October 4, 2016 3:40 AM MDT

The scientists who choose to have integrity rather than, well, the others.  That is the group to listen to.   

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 3, 2016 12:05 AM MDT
      October 2, 2016 11:58 PM MDT

How many Americans care what scientists say when a genius such as Donals Trump tweets
    "The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive."*
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 6, 2012
      October 3, 2016 12:17 PM MDT