Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Would You (or Have You) Confess(ed) to Your Friends And Coworkers That You Plan to Vote for Trump?

Would You (or Have You) Confess(ed) to Your Friends And Coworkers That You Plan to Vote for Trump?

The object of this inquiry is to illustrate the central reason why this year's presidential polls are all but completely useless.

Posted - October 3, 2016

Responses

IF I were planning to vote for Trump (which I'm not), I wouldn't tell anyone.  I'm not even sure I'd tell my family/wife, so it's a cinch I wouldn't admit it to friends or pollsters.
      October 3, 2016 3:20 AM MDT

You do it anonymously in a poll. That will be different than admitting it to any person you know or meet in real life.
      October 3, 2016 4:12 AM MDT

I can't speak for anyone else, but if I'm gonna misrepresent my views to one person I'm gonna do it to all in an effort to be consistent (i.e., keep my story straight :-)).  I see what you mean--that anonymity provides a layer of protection and thus an avenue for honesty without consequences--but I'd give the pollster the same song and dance as everyone else just to keep from tripping on my own bovine excrement.

Still, pollsters aside, how would you react toward your friends and coworkers if you had chosen to support Trump? Would you tell them? This post was edited by Transquesta at October 3, 2016 1:04 PM MDT
      October 3, 2016 1:02 PM MDT

I'm sorry. That is something that is so far away from reality that I cannot imagine it. 
      October 3, 2016 1:08 PM MDT

LOL! 

Uh, yeah.  I get that.
      October 3, 2016 1:13 PM MDT

:-)
      October 3, 2016 1:29 PM MDT

I am not sure the affect of this because I overheard my own brother answer a telephone poll once and he said that he was employed full time and he earned very well. The truth at that moment is that his company had shut down and he was laid off and his income was very low.I joked that it must have sounded like a pretty girl asking the questions and he wanted to lie to impress her and he told me that it was a guy and he just felt shame of being laid off and did not want to admit it to anyone.
      October 3, 2016 5:39 PM MDT

Yes I have to most. There are some who when they started talking were so adamantly Clinton that there was no need to discuss it. I just smile.
      October 3, 2016 5:18 AM MDT

• I woudn't admit that I was voting for either one, tbh 
      October 3, 2016 7:02 AM MDT

Telling them that you're a Sanders supporter would be sufficient. :-)
      October 3, 2016 1:06 PM MDT

• A few people.  It's not that I am.  I just like  seeing reactions.  Others I tell Hillary has my vote.  It's funny watching people get upset.
      October 3, 2016 8:36 AM MDT

Notice how people feel compelled to include the disclaimer?  "It's not that I'm gonna vote for Trump--I'm not--but if..."

LOLOL!  I think I've made my point.
      October 3, 2016 1:07 PM MDT

• I do notice that.

Honestly, if I vote this election,   I will vote for myself.
      October 3, 2016 1:54 PM MDT

You could do worse.  A LOT worse. :-/
      October 3, 2016 2:07 PM MDT

• No we can't!!!!!!
      October 3, 2016 2:13 PM MDT

I am a brown democrat in new york with an accent and no guns. I will tell people that I am voting against hillary and the surprise is that they are not surprised. Once they know that I am doing that they are more comfortable to say that they are doing same. In this state it is not in style to say you will support trump and people are very concerned with that style. Republicans and democrats are not comfortable to admit support for trump. The media is making attempts to push idea that voting for trump is so ridiculous that no one would really do so, but their success is breaking down.  I see on TV this total support for hillary against the unimaginable trump and it is portrayed as the norm but it is not the norm now. Not one single person who I have told that I am supporting trump has reacted with the same crazyness as someone on TV would to the idea. That is today. Tomorrow people be more open to say they are voting against hillary. They will say they won't vote or say they are voting for third party but they will vote and it will be for trump. This post was edited by ITpro at October 3, 2016 1:07 PM MDT
      October 3, 2016 8:49 AM MDT

Can I get cinnamon on my brown democrats, please?  :-)

FWIW, to me there are no (fill in the cultural subgroup)-Americans.  There are only Americans.

You're right, though. The reaction of the groomed elite (and their mouthpieces) is completely different than that of the rank and file (the rest of us).  It's more than likely that even democrats aren't as averse to the idea of Trump as the media would like us to be. This post was edited by Transquesta at October 3, 2016 1:11 PM MDT
      October 3, 2016 1:10 PM MDT

In NY it is hard to find republican voters who are not white and that is why I specified that I am very outside of what is expected in this state.
    At one places I worked there was a very nice educated girl who was a mom with a good job and she had her master's degree and she was always very nice and professional. The surprising thing about her is that she was a gun owner and she made sure she said that she owned guns and liked guns and went to fire guns on the weekend. I asked her about it once why she would tell everyone and she said that she did it because gun owners were not redneck or tough guys or gang people and she thought it was valuable to be an example of gun owners being normal people like everyone else so we wouldn't hate them. So I try to be an example of a trump voter who is like everyone else and not a crazy racist person like the tv says.
      October 3, 2016 5:33 PM MDT