Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Lacking knowledge of geography is quite common. Not being able to locate a specific country is not the end of the world. What is?

Lacking knowledge of geography is quite common. Not being able to locate a specific country is not the end of the world. What is?

Maybe asking if Finland is part of Russia? Not knowing that Finland is a separate country?

Some things we learn in school stick. Some don't. I wonder how many adults (apparent adult is better maybe?) would ask that question and on a scale of 1-10 how dim the person asking it would be?

Posted - June 19, 2020

Responses

The  problem is not the ignorance - no-one can know everything -  but who displays the ignorance, and how.

It may be excusable for someone in "ordinary" life far from NW Europe and who may have been taught little of European geography and history to ask the status or location of a NW European country. You would though expect a senior politician and especially a country's leader, irrespective of political party, either to learn it before speaking or not mention it at all.

President Trump's image abroad is not very good, and it is largely because he is seen as both clumsy and very ignorant of the world beyond the two oceans. I don't know the context of his question, but while he apparently thinking Finland is part of Russia might amuse most of us, it is very unlikely to be funny to the Finns.

It struck me that I don't recall him having made many State visits to other countries. I don't know if he has and I have not learnt of them, or because he does not receive many invitations!  
      June 20, 2020 3:50 AM MDT

Thank you for a very thoughtful and measured reply to my question Durdle. I appreciate it. I think early on other world leaders had trump's number and just decided to humor him. The depth of his ignorance was unimaginable to all of us at first. Now we know there is no end to it. We are told that trump allegedly graduated from Wharton. I wonder if that degree was another thing his daddy bought for him as he bought freedom from having to serve in the military? I think Wharton must have shuddered and cringes to be associated with such a complete ignorant man. I shall have to ask that question. :)
      June 20, 2020 4:43 AM MDT